Bali kicks off maritime festival in tourist hot spot
The Jakarta Post
The Badung regional administration in Bali kicked off on Friday the maiden Badung Maritime Festival in another effort to lure more people to the marquee tourist region on the popular resort island.
The three-day event takes place in several different venues, including Kuta Beach and Benoa Bay - both are popular tourist districts in Bali.
A series of programs are prepared for the event, ranging from cultural performances, fishing tournament, culinary festival, photo contest and surfing competition
"This event should become a platform to encourage more locals to participate in improving tourism sector, which is vital for the regency," Badung regent I Nyoman Giri Prasta said in his opening speech.
Located in southern Bali, Badung covers many of the islands' top tourist districts, such as Kuta, Legian, Seminyak and Nusa Dua. Ngurah Rai International Airport, the country's second busiest airport, is also located in the regency.
Last year, Bali saw nearly 5 million foreign tourist arrivals, up by around 25 percent from 4 million recorded in 2015.
- Seven fasting tips for diabetics
- Terrorism Law still in limbo
- Macron, Trudeau 'bromance' fires up internet
- China sets up semifinal thriller against Japan in Sudirman Cup
- Former first lady calls for fight against intolerance
- My frogs have been eaten by a monitor lizard: Jokowi
- Urging love, Ariana Grande plans show for Manchester attack victims
- ‘Jamu’ fuels Jokowi’s frenetic schedule
- South Korea too strong for Thais to reach Sudirman Cup final