Tontowi, Liliyana stun world No. 1 to win Indonesia Open
The Jakarta Post
Host pair Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir won the 2017 Indonesia Open badminton tournament on Sunday after upsetting world number one duo Zheng Siwei and Chen Qingchen in mixed doubles.
It is the first Indonesia Open title for Tontowi and Liliyana.
During Sunday's final at the Jakarta Convention Center, the world number nine pair outclassed Zheng and Chen 22-20, 21-15 in 45 minutes.
Tontowi and Liliyana, the former world number one pair, are Indonesia's top contenders in mixed doubles with a list of victories in prestigious events, including the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, the 2015 All England Open and the 2013 BWF World Championships.
Liliyana, the doubles specialist, played throughout the 2017 Indonesia Open with a knee injury. (nkn)
- Rizieq wants to go home after being questioned in Saudi
- 'Wiro Sableng 212' strives to define Indonesian films
- Golkar to announce candidates for 2018 regional elections this month
- SEA Games Malaysia: Agus Prayogo wins men’s marathon silver
- Anambas Islands to finish airport expansion in September
- Jokowi signs election bill into law
- SM Entertainment releases statement over Taeyeon's airport incident
- Lombok to host Ampenan Old Town Cultural Festival
- Aceh highlights traditional cuisine to promote halal tourism
- Prison expansion sought to solve overcrowding problem