Tontowi, Liliyana stun world No. 1 to win Indonesia Open
The Jakarta Post
Host pair Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir won the 2017 Indonesia Open badminton tournament on Sunday after upsetting world number one duo Zheng Siwei and Chen Qingchen in mixed doubles.
It is the first Indonesia Open title for Tontowi and Liliyana.
During Sunday's final at the Jakarta Convention Center, the world number nine pair outclassed Zheng and Chen 22-20, 21-15 in 45 minutes.
Tontowi and Liliyana, the former world number one pair, are Indonesia's top contenders in mixed doubles with a list of victories in prestigious events, including the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, the 2015 All England Open and the 2013 BWF World Championships.
Liliyana, the doubles specialist, played throughout the 2017 Indonesia Open with a knee injury. (nkn)
- Obama arrives in Bali
- Media mogul declared intimidation suspect
- Australian citizen denied entry to Bali due to criminal record
- Indonesia's upstream projects proposed for strategic project list
- Obama’s visit to boost Indonesia’s tourism
- Bumi Resources finally obtains effective statement to restructure debt
- Police to question media mogul Hary Tanoe as suspect in alleged threat against prosecutor
- No extravagant ceremony to welcome Obama: Official
- Former US president Obama to arrive on Bali this afternoon
- Online drivers choose to stay in Jakarta to earn more cash