Tontowi, Liliyana stun world No. 1 to win Indonesia Open
The Jakarta Post
Host pair Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir won the 2017 Indonesia Open badminton tournament on Sunday after upsetting world number one duo Zheng Siwei and Chen Qingchen in mixed doubles.
It is the first Indonesia Open title for Tontowi and Liliyana.
During Sunday's final at the Jakarta Convention Center, the world number nine pair outclassed Zheng and Chen 22-20, 21-15 in 45 minutes.
Tontowi and Liliyana, the former world number one pair, are Indonesia's top contenders in mixed doubles with a list of victories in prestigious events, including the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, the 2015 All England Open and the 2013 BWF World Championships.
Liliyana, the doubles specialist, played throughout the 2017 Indonesia Open with a knee injury. (nkn)
- Indonesian magician The Sacred Riana is crowned winner of Asia's Got Talent Season 2
- In first, SpaceX launches recycled rocket and spaceship
- Yogyakarta airport developers warned not to ‘steal’ people’s land
- 2 killed, 7 injured in Java quake: Agency
- Oil and gas lifting to fall slightly short of target
- Foundation documents culinary heritage via smartphone app
- Jakarta transportation operators to rejuvenate fleets
- Police arrest doctor for alleged hate speech against TNI chief
- Saudi women will also be allowed to drive motorcycles
- H&M says to close more stores as customers go online