Tontowi, Liliyana stun world No. 1 to win Indonesia Open
The Jakarta Post
Host pair Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir won the 2017 Indonesia Open badminton tournament on Sunday after upsetting world number one duo Zheng Siwei and Chen Qingchen in mixed doubles.
It is the first Indonesia Open title for Tontowi and Liliyana.
During Sunday's final at the Jakarta Convention Center, the world number nine pair outclassed Zheng and Chen 22-20, 21-15 in 45 minutes.
Tontowi and Liliyana, the former world number one pair, are Indonesia's top contenders in mixed doubles with a list of victories in prestigious events, including the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, the 2015 All England Open and the 2013 BWF World Championships.
Liliyana, the doubles specialist, played throughout the 2017 Indonesia Open with a knee injury. (nkn)
- New Terrorism Law no silver bullet, says rights researcher
- Muslim inmates fed pork during Ramadhan: Activists
- Another phreatic eruption reported at Mt. Merapi
- Global warming may have 'devastating' effects on rice: Study
- Minibus driver used Facebook before deadly crash: reports
- Government is representation of God on earth: State Palace official
- BTS’ new album shows what truly matters
- Costly holiday
- France arrests two spies for passing secrets to China
- China fines Muji for packaging that lists Taiwan as a country