Nine expelled bullies to undergo rehabilitation
The Jakarta Post
Nine junior high school students, who were recently expelled after having reportedly harassed and assaulted an elementary school student, are currently undergoing rehabilitation, an official has said.
"Without losing their education rights, they are currently being rehabilitated at the city's Social Agency," Jakarta Education Agency head Sopan Adrianto said at City Hall on Monday.
Sopan said the decision, which involved many parties, including the Social Affairs Ministry and the National Commission on Child Protection, was made in part because the case was reported to the police.
He said the nine students would later be enrolled in private schools to continue their studies after undergoing the three-month rehab.
"We received confirmation from the schools. Everything is being handled by the Social Affairs Ministry," he said.
The nine students, comprising male and female students from several junior high schools in Central Jakarta, were recorded on video appearing to bully a female elementary school student in an empty area of Thamrin City shopping center.
They appear to grab the victim’s hair and punch and kick her. The video ends with the victim being forced to kneel down before the students and kiss their hands, while they take pictures of the act. (fac)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Car hits pedestrians outside UK mosque in suspected hate crime
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Indonesia exports religious take on family planning
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Makassar mother named child abuse suspect
- Instant Noodle Longform