Remote villagers in Papua protest about online recruitment
Nethy Dharma Somba
The Jakarta Post
Dozens of people claiming to be residents of remote villages in Papua rallied at Cenderawasih University in Jayapura on Monday, where almost 2,000 applicants took a written test to become professional supervisors in the Villagers Empowerment and Development Program.
The protesters claimed they could not apply because the Disadvantaged Regions and Transmigration Ministry only accepted online applications, while their villages did not have internet access yet.
“We suggest that the minister also accept offline applications to accommodate applicants like us who live in remote areas, especially in the Central Mountains, where internet is not available yet,” said Danius Wenda from Lanny Jaya.
According to him, there are many youths in the La Pago, Mee Pago and Saireri indigenous areas who hold bachelor degrees and are eligible to apply but unable to because they do not have access to the internet.
“It is a shame to see many local youths in remote regions who have decent capabilities but are jobless,” he said.
Read also: Papua Police to monitor use of village funds
The head of Papua’s Villagers Empowerment Agency, Donatus Mote, echoed the concern.
“The protesters’ concerns should be taken into account. We have difficulty getting a cellular signal in those remote areas, let alone the internet,” he said.
A total of 1,937 applicants took the written test on Monday to fill 634 vacant posts for the professional supervisor position. (bbs)
- 8.2 magnitude quake hits off coast of Alaska: USGS
- Depok men arrested for allegedly uploading sex video
- Defector soldier 'committed murder in North Korea': report
- Earthquake leads to traffic jams in Jakarta
- BREAKING: Strong 6.4 earthquake hits Banten, no tsunami warning
- Jakarta Planetarium to host public lunar eclipse observation on Jan 31
- Jonghyun's last album released posthumously
- Hundreds of houses damaged by Lebak earthquake
- Indonesia eyes 3 percent inflation rate in 2020
- The xx to perform in Jakarta on Tuesday