Golkar politician arrested for drug abuse
Gemma Holliani Cahya and Callistasia Anggun Wijaya
The Jakarta Post
The police have nabbed a Golkar Party politician and two other men at an entertainment club for an alleged drug abuse.
Officers from the Jakarta Police narcotics division arrested Indra Jaya Pilian, the head of Golkar's research and development division, and his two friends, Romi Fernando and Ismail Jamani, at the Opal Diamond, a Karaoke room in Taman Sari subdistrict, West Jakarta. Indra allegedly consumed drugs at the venue with his friends.
The police also found a pipe, a plastic bag and a lighter inside the room.
“We carried out a urine test on them. Three of them tested positive [for drugs],” Jakarta Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Argo Yuwono told the media on Thursday at the headquarters of the Jakarta Police.
Argo said that during the investigation, Indra, who worked at the Administrative and Bureaucratic Reform Ministry, admitted to have been using crystal methamphetamine, or shabu-shabu, for a year.
“He said he used it to ease tiredness and increase his stamina,” Argo said.
The police are investigating the case further to uncover the sellers of the drugs.
- Some countries buying Russian gear deserve sanctions waivers: Mattis
- Student allegedly paralyzed after being told to do 120 jump squats as punishment
- Thousands protest Australia's refugee detention policy
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games
- Jakpost guide to Pasar Modern Bintaro
- Jambi girl imprisoned for abortion after being raped by brother
- This is why you’re sweating during sleep
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Robin Williams possessions up for auction in New York