Setya Novanto visits Mt. Agung evacuees
The Jakarta Post
Only days after being discharged from the hospital, House of Representatives Speaker Setya Novanto visited evacuation posts near Mount Agung in Bali on Friday.
The Golkar Party chairman, who had been suffering from multiple illnesses, including heart and kidney problems as well as vertigo, said he wanted to assess the impact of increased activity at Mt. Agung on the Balinese people.
“I can feel the apprehension of the evacuees. They have to leave their villages and have lost their livelihoods,” he said as quoted by kompas.com.
The politician also brought staple goods, clean water and restroom facilities for the evacuees.
Setya, who is implicated in a high-profile graft case surrounding the procurement of e-IDs, drew controversy recently after refusing to answer summonses from the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) citing his poor health.
The public has accused him of faking being sick to avoid prosecution. A photograph of Setya tethered to a respiratory aid and heart monitor that circulated online was widely ridiculed and satirical memes based on the photo made its rounds on social media over the weekend.
While he was being treated at the hospital, Setya was waiting on a court ruling for his petition to challenge the KPK’s move to name him a suspect in the case at the South Jakarta District Court.
The antigraft agency had not questioned him before the court ruled last month that his naming as a suspect by the KPK was illegal. (ahw)
- Some countries buying Russian gear deserve sanctions waivers: Mattis
- Trump targeted by G-20 as leaders push back on combative tweets
- Student allegedly paralyzed after being told to do 120 jump squats as punishment
- Thousands protest Australia's refugee detention policy
- Supreme Court to decide on UK-Scotland Brexit standoff
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games
- Jakpost guide to Pasar Modern Bintaro
- Jambi girl imprisoned for abortion after being raped by brother
- This is why you’re sweating during sleep
- One dead, suspect surrenders after US supermarket hostage drama