Police name 7 suspects in deadly Nusakambangan brawl
The Jakarta Post
Cilacap Police have named seven suspects in a clash that left one prisoner dead and three others injured at Permisan Penitentiary on the maximum-security Nusakambangan prison island in Central Java.
One of the suspects is inmate Sutrisno, who allegedly attacked Tumbur Biondy--the dead prisoner believed to have been a member of a prison gang led by John Kei, an inmate and former crime lord.
Sutrisno, meanwhile, is known for his close ties with a number of terrorist convicts on the prison island located some 3 kilometers from downtown Cilacap.
"We have also collected evidence and questioned a number of witnesses. While the forensic unit will examine a knife [allegedly used in the incident]," Cilacap Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Djoko Julianto said on Thursday.
Another suspect in the incident is an inmate identified as David, who is reportedly a member of John’s prison gang. John himself was wounded in the brawl.
The prison authority suspected the brawl was triggered by a long-standing rivalry between a group of terrorist inmates and John’s prison gang.
Permisan warden Yan Rusmanto said on Thursday that the brawl had stemmed from rivalries between various groups in Nusakambangan.
"There is indeed such culture [of rivalry] in the prison," Permisan warden Yan said. (ipa)
- Joey Alexander’s new music video showcases the beauty of Bali
- Indonesia sees 7 brutal animal killings in 2018
- Shell eyeing Indonesia's LNG market
- A world without America
- UK's official Brexit campaign fined, referred to police
- Malaysia issues arrest warrants for ex-1MDB executives
- Thailand's cave boys wake up at home for first time in weeks
- Beijing's new airport comes with new construction tech
- A guide to understanding the Freeport divestment deal
- Indonesia to invite Kim Jong-un, Moon Jae-in to attend Asiad