Setya's lawyer to report KPK to police
Marguerite Afra Sapiie
The Jakarta Post
The lawyer of House of Representatives Speaker Setya Novanto has moved to report the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) to the National Police after the antigraft body, for the second time, named Setya a suspect in the mega-corruption case surrounding the national electronic ID program.
Only hours after the KPK announced Setya a suspect on Friday, Setya’s lawyer Fredrich Yunadi said he was on the way to the National Police’s Criminal Investigation Department to report the KPK for opposing a court ruling as stipulated under Article 414 of the Criminal Code.
The South Jakarta District Court in late September declared as unwarranted the KPK's first move to name Setya a suspect.
“The KPK is in contempt of court,” Fredrich told The Jakarta Post.
Fredrich said he would also file another pre-trial lawsuit against the KPK's latest decision to name his client a graft suspect in the e-ID case.
Setya is suspected of having committed the offense of swindling state funds to enrich himself or other people or corporations as stipulated in Article 2 of the 2001 Corruption Law.
The KPK accused him of colluding with businessmen Anang Sugiharjo and Andi Agustinus and former Home Ministry official Irman to rig the 5.9 trillion (US$3.7 billion) e-ID project, causing Rp 2.3 trillion in state losses.
The announcement came only days after the National Police said they had started an investigation into a report filed by Fredrich on allegations that Saut and KPK chairman Agus Rahardjo had falsified documents to ask the Immigration Office to extend a travel ban on Setya. (ahw)
- TV program under fire for showing protected giant clam being cooked
- Group touts Susi Pudjiastuti as Jokowi’s running mate
- Kate, wife of UK's Prince William, taken to hospital to give birth to third child
- New rule no 'carte blanche' for foreign workers: Minister
- Indonesian-made messaging app Callind launches in Jakarta
- EDITORIAL: When interests collide
- Driver named suspect after death of toddler in East Jakarta
- Landslide damages house in Depok
- No ticketing on first day of Sudirman-Thamrin odd-even trial run
- Kremlin, on possible missile delivery to Syria, says Western strike soured atmosphere