Police arrest three for allegedly assaulting couple
The Jakarta Post
The Tangerang Police in Banten have arrested three individuals for allegedly assaulting an unmarried couple they accused of having sexual intercourse.
The video of the attack, which took place on Saturday night, went viral online.
Tangerang Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Sabilul Alif confirmed three suspects were arrested.
"We apprehended three suspects today," Sabilul said as quoted by wartakota.tribunnews.com on Monday, adding that the police began questioning witnesses.
The couple, a 28-year-old and a 20-year-old with plans to get married, were reportedly forced to strip off their clothes during the attack by a mob of people accusing them of having intercourse at the woman's house in Sukamulya subdistrict, Cikupa district, Tangerang regency.
The attack was recorded and video footage of it has widely circulated on social media.
The couple sustained physical injuries and were traumatized, the police said.
"A team comprising a psychologist and a psychiatrist have been prepared to heal their mental state," Sabilul added. (fac)
- Teacher charged with child abuse for slapping students
- Indonesia considers joining TPP-11
- Ants that 'explode' to fight foes discovered on Borneo
- Garuda Indonesia's Kartini Flight features all-female pilots, cabin crew, groundcrew
- Janelle Monae plans dystopian film to accompany album
- School accuses travel agency of fraud
- Bootleg liquor claims more lives in Bekasi
- North Korea's Kim promises no more nuclear or missile tests
- Papuans celebrate womanhood in mangrove forest
- New York to ban cars from Manhattan's Central Park