Police arrest three for allegedly assaulting couple
The Jakarta Post
The Tangerang Police in Banten have arrested three individuals for allegedly assaulting an unmarried couple they accused of having sexual intercourse.
The video of the attack, which took place on Saturday night, went viral online.
Tangerang Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Sabilul Alif confirmed three suspects were arrested.
"We apprehended three suspects today," Sabilul said as quoted by wartakota.tribunnews.com on Monday, adding that the police began questioning witnesses.
The couple, a 28-year-old and a 20-year-old with plans to get married, were reportedly forced to strip off their clothes during the attack by a mob of people accusing them of having intercourse at the woman's house in Sukamulya subdistrict, Cikupa district, Tangerang regency.
The attack was recorded and video footage of it has widely circulated on social media.
The couple sustained physical injuries and were traumatized, the police said.
"A team comprising a psychologist and a psychiatrist have been prepared to heal their mental state," Sabilul added. (fac)
- Me and my (porn) shadow: 'Spycam' epidemic seizes South Korea
- Setya Novanto pays $50,000 in restitution installment to KPK
- Moon, Kim get peace award from Indonesian community
- Four earthquakes strike off Canada's west coast
- Indonesian tourism set to beat Thailand in 5 years
- Suspected HTI flag burning sparks controversy among Muslims
- Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja stuns 'American Idol' judges
- Australia hits five Myanmar generals with sanctions
- Meikarta project abides by spatial regulation: Minister
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world