KPK to challenge court ruling revoking justice collaborator status of Irman, Sugiharto
The Jakarta Post
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) is set to challenge the Jakarta High Court’s ruling to revoke the justice collaborator status of former Home Ministry senior officials and e-ID graft convicts Irman and Sugiharto at the Supreme Court.
“The revocation of the justice collaborator status will be one of our points in our cassation [appeal to overturn the court ruling] that will be filed with the Supreme Court,” KPK spokesman Febri Diansyah told journalists on Thursday. He said the appeal process was underway and the antigraft body was waiting for the next step.
KPK prosecutors filed an appeal with the high court regarding the verdict at the Jakarta Corruption Court on the two defendants because, according to the prosecutors, the panel of judges had yet to include pieces of evidence and several testimonies from figures implicated in the e-ID graft case.
Among the names include embattled House of Representatives Speaker and Golkar Party chairman Setya Novanto, who was accused of playing a key role in the graft case that resulted in Rp 2.3 trillion (US$170 million) in state losses.
However, the high court rejected the appeal and revoked the justice collaborator status of Irman and Sugiharto. The KPK granted the status to the two defendants during the trial of their case. In its ruling on the appeal, the court also imposed larger fines on the two defendants. (ebf)
- Japan to offer e-visa to tourists starting April 2020
- Meikarta graft case: KPK searches residence of Lippo Group CEO James Riady
- For the sake of integrity
- IMF chief postpones Middle East trip with Saudi stop
- Indonesia’s competitiveness improves, but still well below Singapore, Malaysia
- Movie star Chow Yun-fat to give entire fortune to charity
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Arsonist sentenced to 24 years for Texas mosque burning
- Fan Bingbing spotted for first time in months, outside Beijing airport
- Lippo Group executive arrested in Meikarta bribery case