KPK to challenge court ruling revoking justice collaborator status of Irman, Sugiharto
The Jakarta Post
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) is set to challenge the Jakarta High Court’s ruling to revoke the justice collaborator status of former Home Ministry senior officials and e-ID graft convicts Irman and Sugiharto at the Supreme Court.
“The revocation of the justice collaborator status will be one of our points in our cassation [appeal to overturn the court ruling] that will be filed with the Supreme Court,” KPK spokesman Febri Diansyah told journalists on Thursday. He said the appeal process was underway and the antigraft body was waiting for the next step.
KPK prosecutors filed an appeal with the high court regarding the verdict at the Jakarta Corruption Court on the two defendants because, according to the prosecutors, the panel of judges had yet to include pieces of evidence and several testimonies from figures implicated in the e-ID graft case.
Among the names include embattled House of Representatives Speaker and Golkar Party chairman Setya Novanto, who was accused of playing a key role in the graft case that resulted in Rp 2.3 trillion (US$170 million) in state losses.
However, the high court rejected the appeal and revoked the justice collaborator status of Irman and Sugiharto. The KPK granted the status to the two defendants during the trial of their case. In its ruling on the appeal, the court also imposed larger fines on the two defendants. (ebf)
- New Terrorism Law no silver bullet, says rights researcher
- Muslim inmates fed pork during Ramadhan: Activists
- France arrests two spies for passing secrets to China
- Costly holiday
- BREAKING: Indonesia passes stronger antiterrorism law
- Government is representation of God on earth: State Palace official
- Indonesia shakes off nerves for Thomas Cup semifinal against China
- Malaysia's defeated UMNO party asks for its money back
- US wasted billions in failed Afghan stabilization efforts: official
- Everest's Hillary Step now a 'slope': Climber