Sleepyhead mayor must be tired: Sandiaga
The Jakarta Post
In response to an event in which West Jakarta Mayor Anas Effendi fell asleep next to Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan while they were listening to a Quran recitation, Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno said the mayor must have been tired from working all-day serving residents.
Speaking at City Hall on Thursday, Sandiaga said he empathized with the mayor. “He must be tired. [Maybe] he works 24 hours a day,” he said.
The sleeping mayor incident took place on Wednesday morning when Anies and Anas attended an event to commemorate the International Day of Persons with Disabilities at a city-owned social house in Kalideres, West Jakarta. Anas, who sat in the front row beside the governor, fell asleep while a visually impaired child was reading the Quran in Braille.
According to a kompas.com report, Anas had fallen asleep on four different occasions during his tenure, among incidents being when in 2013, then governor Joko “Jokowi” Widodo delivered a speech in front of city officials and City Council members.
Anas, who was sitting next to then Jakarta Employment Agency head I Made Karmayoga, had seemingly fallen asleep during Jokowi’s speech, attracting the attention of many attendees. (vny)
- 53 injured as Saudi jet makes emergency landing
- Anwar reassures Malays who fear losing racial advantage
- Police find 'missing' teen's body at South Jakarta apartment
- Castle restoration plan with no elevators causing controversy
- Commentary: Soeharto's most likely successor? How about Prabowo?
- Joey Alexander among '50 Asians to watch'
- Australian archbishop guilty of concealing child sex abuse
- Displaced for different beliefs
- Five dead in India from Nipah virus, dozens quarantined
- Danish minister says Ramadan fasting can be 'dangerous'