Sleepyhead mayor must be tired: Sandiaga
The Jakarta Post
In response to an event in which West Jakarta Mayor Anas Effendi fell asleep next to Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan while they were listening to a Quran recitation, Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno said the mayor must have been tired from working all-day serving residents.
Speaking at City Hall on Thursday, Sandiaga said he empathized with the mayor. “He must be tired. [Maybe] he works 24 hours a day,” he said.
The sleeping mayor incident took place on Wednesday morning when Anies and Anas attended an event to commemorate the International Day of Persons with Disabilities at a city-owned social house in Kalideres, West Jakarta. Anas, who sat in the front row beside the governor, fell asleep while a visually impaired child was reading the Quran in Braille.
According to a kompas.com report, Anas had fallen asleep on four different occasions during his tenure, among incidents being when in 2013, then governor Joko “Jokowi” Widodo delivered a speech in front of city officials and City Council members.
Anas, who was sitting next to then Jakarta Employment Agency head I Made Karmayoga, had seemingly fallen asleep during Jokowi’s speech, attracting the attention of many attendees. (vny)
- Only 4 of 6 US-granted F-16s arrive in Indonesia amid engine trouble
- Anies unaware of lunch meeting with mass organizations
- Jakarta Council Speaker urges Anies to focus on work
- Lazada.co.id to expand warehouses, merchants
- Activists slam Jokowi for lip service on human rights cases
- No escape: Climate displacement in Indonesia
- Bali's rumbling volcano slashes peak Christmas tourist numbers
- Iran Revolutionary Guards ready to back Palestinian forces
- Four arrested over alleged plan to attack police in Riau
- Water inundates Cawang underpass, Jakarta council building