Sleepyhead mayor must be tired: Sandiaga
The Jakarta Post
In response to an event in which West Jakarta Mayor Anas Effendi fell asleep next to Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan while they were listening to a Quran recitation, Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno said the mayor must have been tired from working all-day serving residents.
Speaking at City Hall on Thursday, Sandiaga said he empathized with the mayor. “He must be tired. [Maybe] he works 24 hours a day,” he said.
The sleeping mayor incident took place on Wednesday morning when Anies and Anas attended an event to commemorate the International Day of Persons with Disabilities at a city-owned social house in Kalideres, West Jakarta. Anas, who sat in the front row beside the governor, fell asleep while a visually impaired child was reading the Quran in Braille.
According to a kompas.com report, Anas had fallen asleep on four different occasions during his tenure, among incidents being when in 2013, then governor Joko “Jokowi” Widodo delivered a speech in front of city officials and City Council members.
Anas, who was sitting next to then Jakarta Employment Agency head I Made Karmayoga, had seemingly fallen asleep during Jokowi’s speech, attracting the attention of many attendees. (vny)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Lippo's Karawaci flooded, Pejaten Village catches fire
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- ASEAN’s priority: China
- Passenger demands window seat, gets amusing response from flight attendant
- US pilots say Boeing didn’t warn of 737 feature tied to crash
- Macron the latest US ally insulted by Trump
- Cutting out rice not enough: More lifestyle changes needed to prevent diabetes
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements