Palu economic zone makes initial export of pine sap to China
The Jakarta Post
Hongthai International, a company in the Palu, Central Sulawesi, Special Economic Zone (KEK) made the inaugural export of its pine sap products to Guangzhou, China, via Pantoloan Port in Palu on Thursday.
Hongthai International president director Firman Lapide told The Jakarta Post the pine sap exported on Thursday was a half-processed commodity called gondorukem, which would later be processed into health and beauty products in factories in China.
“For the first time, we exported 475 tons of half-processed pine sap,” Firman said. The international market’s demand for the product amounts to about 1 million tons per year.
He said Hongthai International could only process pine sap into gondorukem because it did not yet have the technology needed to process the commodity into final products.
Firman said Hongthai was preparing to build a factory that would produce health and beauty products from pine sap.
Central Sulawesi Governor Longki Djanggola said factories operating in KEK Palu had made considerable investments. For instance, asphalt company PT Asbuton Jaya Abadi has invested Rp 100 billion (US$7 million) and will recruit about 120 employees, he said.
Hongthai International has invested Rp 15 billion and has 30 employees. In the coconut industry, PT Sofi Agro Industries has invested $1.3 million and employs 625 people.
Rubber-processing company PT Agro Sulteng has invested Rp 2 billion and currently employs 100 people while in the essential oil industry, PT Artha Palu has invested Rp 50 billion and has 35 employees. (nmn/ebf)
Prime commodity: More than 400 tons of half-processed pine sap products were exported to Guangzhou, China, from Pantoloan Port, Palu, on Thursday. (JP/Ruslan Sangadji)
- BI investigates use of bitcoin in Bali
- President Jokowi purchases custom motorcycle, boosts local businesses
- Uber, Grab to adjust with new decree
- Indonesia expects to pass data protection bill in 2018
- Ed Sheeran announces engagement
- Man shot dead in night club's parking lot in Bogor
- Several Ukrainians among 18 dead in Taliban attack on Kabul hotel
- Sundance debuts dark tale of triplets split at birth
- Fashion brand celebrates third anniversary by cleaning Baduy tribal areas
- Patek Philippe’s Calatrava Ref. 6006G: where graphic elegance meets ultra-thin design