Generals told to resign if granted candidacy status by KPU: National Police
The Jakarta Post
Police generals seeking candidacy in the 2018 simultaneous regional elections have been told to resign from the force once the General Elections Commission (KPU) confirms their eligibility, a spokesman for the force has said.
“They have yet to resign. They will after the election commission verifies their registration on Feb. 12,” National Police spokesman Insp. Gen. Setyo Wasisto said on Monday as quoted by Antara news agency.
Setyo dismissed concerns that the generals would abuse their authority to win votes during the campaign period as the National Police had transferred them to nonstrategic posts. “Our internal affairs division [Propam] will also look [into possible abuses of authority during the election.”
Three police generals are set to run in this year’s regional election, namely former West Java Police chief Insp. Gen. Anton Charliyan, former National Police Mobile Brigade commander Insp. Gen. Murad Ismail and former East Kalimantan Police chief Insp. Gen. Safaruddin.
Anton is set to run as a deputy governor candidate in West Java alongside former House of Representatives lawmaker Tubagus Hasanuddin. The pair is backed by the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P).
Meanwhile, Murad and running mate Barnabas Orno are supported by the PDI-P and two other parties, the NasDem Party and National Awakening Party (PKB), in the Maluku gubernatorial election. Safaruddin is also backed by the PDI-P as an East Kalimantan gubernatorial candidate, although his running mate has yet to be announced. (dmr)
- Surfer severely mauled by shark in Australia
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Hummingbirds thrive at innovative Mexico gardens
- They played dead on the ground: Survivor recounts OPM massacre
- Prabowo answers all your burning questions in his little blue book
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- Women accuse famous Brazil spiritual 'healer' of sex abuse
- Garuda Indonesia takes passengers on trip to 1980s
- Why do we feel sleepy after eating a meal?