Bambang Soesatyo most likely to become House speaker: Golkar executive
Nurul Fitri Ramadhani
The Jakarta Post
Bambang Soesatyo, the chairman of House of Representatives Commission III, which oversees human rights, security and legal affairs, is being touted as the most likely figure to replace former House speaker Setya Novanto.
“Bambang has the highest chance [to become the House speaker]. If we are talking about opportunities, he has most of them,” Golkar Party executive Zainudin Amali said on Thursday.
It has been more than one month since Setya stepped down from the House’s top post over his involvement in the e-ID graft case.
The Golkar faction has not yet named any lawmaker to replace him. However, according to Zainudin, Golkar chairman Airlangga Hartarto has picked a name.
The faction held a plenary meeting on Thursday afternoon to discuss the matter. “We will officially announce a name at the latest next week,” said Zainudin.
Previously, Bambang and Zainudin were mentioned as the most likely candidates to fill the House speaker post.
Bambang is one of five lawmakers accused of having intimated former House member Miryam S. Haryani, a Hanura Party politician, to influence her testimony in the e-ID graft trial.
Airlangga has so far refused to comment in detail on the House speaker choice. “All Golkar lawmakers at the House have the same chances to become the House speaker,” he said. (ebf)
- Engineers union to analyze cause of IDX collapsed floor
- Indonesia's foreign debt stands at $347.3b, 34% of GDP
- Couple forced to marry after caught being alone at fruit farm
- IDX Tower 2 never been renovated: Management
- Voldemort film now available for free on YouTube
- Rappler Indonesia to soldier on despite license revocation
- Mother allegedly kills her baby at restaurant
- Police issue second summons for Sandiaga
- Indonesia, Turkey team up to develop military drones
- Anies orders transportation agency, police to ticket traffic violators