Bambang Soesatyo most likely to become House speaker: Golkar executive
Nurul Fitri Ramadhani
The Jakarta Post
Bambang Soesatyo, the chairman of House of Representatives Commission III, which oversees human rights, security and legal affairs, is being touted as the most likely figure to replace former House speaker Setya Novanto.
“Bambang has the highest chance [to become the House speaker]. If we are talking about opportunities, he has most of them,” Golkar Party executive Zainudin Amali said on Thursday.
It has been more than one month since Setya stepped down from the House’s top post over his involvement in the e-ID graft case.
The Golkar faction has not yet named any lawmaker to replace him. However, according to Zainudin, Golkar chairman Airlangga Hartarto has picked a name.
The faction held a plenary meeting on Thursday afternoon to discuss the matter. “We will officially announce a name at the latest next week,” said Zainudin.
Previously, Bambang and Zainudin were mentioned as the most likely candidates to fill the House speaker post.
Bambang is one of five lawmakers accused of having intimated former House member Miryam S. Haryani, a Hanura Party politician, to influence her testimony in the e-ID graft trial.
Airlangga has so far refused to comment in detail on the House speaker choice. “All Golkar lawmakers at the House have the same chances to become the House speaker,” he said. (ebf)
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- UK visa requirements relaxed for Indonesian students
- Malaysia's Najib explains why he had so many luxury handbags, lots of cash, jewe...
- We deserve more choices
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Number missing in Indonesia ferry disaster jumps again to 192: official
- Handgun found in bin at Soekarno-Hatta airport
- US centers force migrant children to take drugs -lawsuit
- Traveler forgets father at rest stop upon return from Lebaran holiday