Batam has opportunity to become national logistics center, says minister
The Jakarta Post
Coordinating Economic Minister Darmin Nasution has said Batam Island in Riau Islands province has an opportunity to be developed into a national logistics center due to its strategic position close to Singapore and its supporting infrastructure.
“The island could become the center of the logistics-bonded zone or the likes,” said Darmin when inaugurating Maj. Gen. Eko Budi Soepriyatno as deputy for infrastructure development of the Batam Free Trade and Port Zone Authority (KPBPB) in Jakarta on Tuesday night.
The Batam strategic location could be used for transit for ships before they continue their trips to transport various goods and commodities to eastern Indonesian regions and other places in the country, the minister said.
Darmin added that Batam had also been equipped with various infrastructure needed to develop.
Therefore, he stressed the need of close cooperation between the Batam city administration and the Batam Authority Agency (BP Batam) to make the infrastructure become functional for various economic activities to develop the island.
“I am optimistic that the current officials will be able to make Batam become a more developed region,” the minister added, as reported by Antara.
Meanwhile, BP Batam head Lukita Dinarsyah Tuwo said his office was currently trying to utilize idle land for investors to start doing business on the island.
“I [request] land owners open business or cooperate with investors to utilize their plots of land,” he added. (bbn)
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- No nutrients lost in rendang despite long cooking period, research says
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Basarnas ends search for Lion Air crash victims
- Bali authority denies report on JE viral infection outbreak
- Anti-LGBT sentiment rises ahead of elections
- Lion Air crash: 'I’m sure dad could swim his way out and survive the crash'
- When Jokowi’s ‘other women’ let their hair down
- Singapore Airlines to move to Soekarno-Hatta airport Terminal 3
- 5 ways to increase your lung capacity