Ustad assaulted by youths in West Jakarta: Police
The Jakarta Post
An ustad (Islamic teacher) has been assaulted by a gang of youths in Palmerah, West Jakarta, the police confirmed on Monday.
Jakarta Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Argo Yuwono confirmed that the incident occurred late Saturday, saying the youths felt incensed after the victim, 40-year-old Abdul Basyit, repeatedly told them off for untoward behavior in the neighborhood.
“The youths frequently disturbed the peace by sleeping in front of the mosque, urinating in public and making a commotion,” said Argo.
Al-Ikhlas mushalla (small mosque) located on Jl. KH Syahdan is a frequent haunt of the youths, who had been reprimanded repeatedly by the victim over the past two weeks.
Four teenagers have been detained and charged under Article 170 of the Criminal Code (KUHP), which carries a seven-year prison sentence. At least seven suspects are on the run.
National Police chief Gen. Tito Karnavian said the incident was purely criminal in nature. He asked the public not to connect the crime to religion, following recent religious-tinged incidents across the country. (jlm)
- Let them eat quinoa: Malaysian PM mocked for being out of touch
- Study to challenge claim Indonesia second-biggest marine polluter
- BREAKING: PDI-P officially endorses Jokowi for 2019 presidential election
- Two injured in Louisiana university shooting
- Katy Perry: Her vibes on Jakarta's energy
- Booking.com reveals most affordable months to travel
- Anies remains tight-lipped after being reported to police
- Turkey navy 'threatens force' against Italy drillship: Cyprus
- Kaum Jakarta named capital's restaurant of the year
- Baby lobster smugglers arrested