Ustad assaulted by youths in West Jakarta: Police
The Jakarta Post
An ustad (Islamic teacher) has been assaulted by a gang of youths in Palmerah, West Jakarta, the police confirmed on Monday.
Jakarta Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Argo Yuwono confirmed that the incident occurred late Saturday, saying the youths felt incensed after the victim, 40-year-old Abdul Basyit, repeatedly told them off for untoward behavior in the neighborhood.
“The youths frequently disturbed the peace by sleeping in front of the mosque, urinating in public and making a commotion,” said Argo.
Al-Ikhlas mushalla (small mosque) located on Jl. KH Syahdan is a frequent haunt of the youths, who had been reprimanded repeatedly by the victim over the past two weeks.
Four teenagers have been detained and charged under Article 170 of the Criminal Code (KUHP), which carries a seven-year prison sentence. At least seven suspects are on the run.
National Police chief Gen. Tito Karnavian said the incident was purely criminal in nature. He asked the public not to connect the crime to religion, following recent religious-tinged incidents across the country. (jlm)
- A father’s love: Wiranto explains why his daughter wears niqab
- BLACKPINK’s Jennie sets records with ‘Solo’ videos
- Jokowi won't grant Nuril amnesty
- Ed Sheeran on BTS: ‘I think they are great’
- 6 kg of garbage found in dead whale's stomach in Wakatobi
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Indonesia mosques spreading radicalism to government workers: Official
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- AirAsia to move international operations to Soekarno-Hatta airport Terminal 2
- Palm oil industry calls on govt to take 'firm' action against Greenpeace