Police to probe transportation agency
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Police said on Tuesday that it had scheduled to summons Jakarta administration officials next week to find out who had been responsible for the decision to close Jl. Jatibaru in Tanah Abang, Central Jakarta.
“We will summons the Transportation Agency and the Legal Bureau,” said the police’s corruption unit chief, Adj. Sr. Comr. Ferdi Irawan on Tuesday, as quoted by kompas.com.
He said the questioning would be held on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
The police will also question expert witnesses.
The Jakarta Police questioned on Monday Jack Boyd Lapian, who has reported the governor for issuing a policy that allegedly contravenes prevailing road regulations. The case caps the controversy surrounding the policy, which was implemented two months after Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan and his deputy, Sandiaga Uno, were inaugurated as the city’s leaders.
The road closure has also drawn controversy, since it has been blamed for worsening congestion and the declining income of public minivan drivers.
Trisakti University public policy expert Trubus Rahadiansyah criticized the legal action taken against Anies.
“Anies may have made a mistake by abruptly closing Jl. Jatibaru without properly checking the regulations,” he said.
“But we also have to acknowledge that the closure was indeed aimed at facilitating street vendors, who mostly come from low-income families,” he added.
- Christie's to auction rare watch once owned by Egyptian king
- Canned sardines contaminated with thread worms, BPOM confirms
- PDI-P strengthens ties with Golkar
- Jakarta to see medium rain but remain hot during equinox
- Freeport has cost $13 billion losses in environmental damage, says BPK
- Tax office eyes 14m taxpayers' annual reports this year
- Marine personnel rebuild roads, houses ahead of naval exercises
- Piles of trash continue to flow onto Tangerang shore
- Brunei, Indonesia work on new hybrid paddy varieties
- E-cigarettes more likely to get people started on smoking: Study