Megawati to receive honorary degree from IPDN
The Jakarta Post
The Institute of Public Administration (IPDN) will award former president and Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) chairwoman Megawati Soekarnoputri with an honorary degree in politics as part International Women’s Day, an official has said.
The presentation ceremony is scheduled to be held on Thursday at the institute's campus in Jatinangor, Sumedang, West Java.
“Megawati is an important political figure who is always consistent in implementing democracy for a better Indonesia,” IPDN rector Ermaya Suradinata said in a written statement.
“She is a strong, decisive figure, but at the same time, also shows her essential womanly nature in respecting humanity and cultural values.”
Meanwhile, PDI-P secretary-general Hasto Kristiyanto welcomed the honorary title for Megawati.
“This honorary degree is another recognition for her greatness as a politician,” he said.
Megawati, who dropped out of Padjadjaran University’s School of Agriculture in Bandung and the University of Indonesia’s (UI) School of Psychology in Depok, both in West Java, has previously received honorary degrees from various universities, including those in Japan, South Korea and Russia. (gis/dmr)
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Florence death toll jumps to 31 as flooding wreaks havoc
- Trump hits China with tariffs on another $200b in goods
- Prosecutors call for Jambi rape victim to be punished to deter abortion
- Indonesia must improve its e-government
- Indian bishop accused of raping nun steps aside as arrest calls grow
- Payment of 'uang ketok palu' is tradition, councilors admit to corruption court
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Trump defends Supreme Court pick after sex assault allegation