All England champ Kevin Sanjaya showered with bonuses
The Jakarta Post
Shuttler Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo, half of the men's doubles pair that retained their title at the 2018 All England Open Badminton World Championships, has been awarded a cash bonus from his club Djarum Kudus and several sponsors on Wednesday for his achievements in Birmingham.
"It was a big responaibility to defend such a prestigious title like the All England," Kevin said in a statement.
"Support from [my] coaches and the experience of training in the club have been of great help for me to do my best," he added.
Kevin won the All England men's doubles title with Marcus Fernaldi Gideon, who plays for the Tangkas Intiland Jakarta badminton club, defending the title they won in 2017.
At Wednesday's event, Kevin received a check for Rp 200 million (US$14,550) from Djarum.
The top-ranking doubles shuttler also received sponsors' vouchers worth Rp 40 million from e-commerce platform Bli-Bli and Rp 10 million from online travel agent Tiket.com, as well as a 55-inch LED television from home appliance company Polytron.
Earlier, the Youth and Sports Ministry gave Kevin and Marcus each a Rp 250 million cash award.
Djarum Foundation program director Yoppy Rosimin said he hoped that Kevin’s success would set an example for junior shuttlers and inspired them to replicate his achievements.
Djarum Foundation also awarded a cash bonus of Rp 70 million each to men’s doubles coaches Herry IP and Aryono Miranat, who led their ace pair to win the prestigious badminton title. (rdi)
- Indonesia's digital policy lacking focus
- Number of rejected Schengen visa applications for Indonesia increases
- Philippines closes Boracay to tourists under high security
- Human rights at risk for ASEAN citizens
- Electric cars made by Indonesian students featured at Jakarta motor show
- Headscarved students banned from performing 'gambyong' dance
- Anger as Fiji tourism ad swaps 'church' for 'toilet'
- ‘Stranger Things’ coming to Universal Studios Singapore
- ‘Avengers: Infinity War’: To infinity … and be awed!
- Nod for 'Jack Ryan' season 2