Jokowi invites Vietnamese PM to ASEAN gathering
The Jakarta Post
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo has officially delivered his invitation to Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyễn Xuân Phúc to attend the ASEAN Leaders' Gathering (ALG) in October.
The invitation was delivered by Coordinating Maritime Affairs Minister Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan, who on Wednesday made an official visit to the prime minister's office in Vietnam, the ministry said in a press release received by The Jakarta Post on Thursday.
Indonesia is set to host annual meetings of the International Monetary Fund - World Bank Group (2018 AM IMF-WBG) on Oct. 10.
The Indonesian government has initiated the ALG, which will be held on the sidelines of the event, as an attempt to improve cooperation and collaboration among ASEAN, the UN, the IMF and World Bank.
Luhut, as the chairman of the 2018 AM IMF-WBG organizing committee, said the ALG was aimed at showing to the world the success of ASEAN countries in escaping from the economic crisis in 1998.
“Through this forum, Indonesia also wants to demonstrate ASEAN solidarity to the 189 countries that will attend the 2018 AM IMF-WBG,” Luhut said as quoted by the statement.
“The ALG will be a good opportunity for Vietnam to share the success stories in its economic development,” the minister added.
It was further said Nguyễn welcomed the invitation. He also sent an invitation to Jokowi to attend the ASEAN World Economic Forum (WEF) in Hanoi from Sept. 11 to Sept. 13 and to make an official state visit to the country. (ebf)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- India launches 'Modicare', world's biggest health scheme
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- China's bullet trains are coming for Hong Kong's airlines
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- Attempt to send underage prostitutes to Bali ends at airport: Police
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy