Jakarta Police gear up to combat deadly bootleg liquor
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta Police chief Insp. Gen. Idham Azis has said he will form a special team to investigate the circulation of bootleg liquor in the city.
“Yes, I will arrange a special team to combat the circulation of unlicensed liquor,” he said as quoted by tempo.co on Thursday.
The consumption of unlicensed liquor has claimed over 30 lives in only four days across Greater Jakarta. Eight people died in Depok and seven people in Bekasi, West Java. Eight other casualties occurred in Jagakarsa, South Jakarta, with 10 more recorded in Duren Sawit, East Jakarta.
In order to prevent further victims, South Jakarta Police chief Sr. Comr. Indra Jafar has summoned all sub-precinct police chiefs in his area.
“I’ve ordered them to closely monitor the circulation of bootleg liquor. We need people to report to us if they notice any jamu (traditional herbal beverage) vendors selling this,” he said on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, East Jakarta Police have been conducting raids since Wednesday to stop the circulation of alcoholic beverages.
East Jakarta police chief Sr. Com. Yoyon Tony Surya Putra said, “Our main target is not the sellers, but the distributors.”
Jakarta Police spokesperson Sr. Comr. Argo Yuwono said that the Tangerang City Police had organized simultaneous raids in all districts and sub-districts in the area.
“From our raids, we have confiscated liquor from unlicensed brands,” he said. (vla)
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Indonesia to free Bali Nine drug smuggler Lawrence: Official
- Government to issue new regulation on coal permits
- JT610 victim's bride takes wedding photo shoot without groom
- Associate of close Trump adviser expects to be indicted by Mueller
- Garuda to reopen Jakarta-London route
- University student ‘pseudo poll’: LGBT behavior caused by keeping wrong company...
- Garuda Indonesia records best OTP in Asia Pacific