No presidential declaration for me yet: Prabowo
The Jakarta Post
Gerindra Party chairman Prabowo Subianto said there was no declaration for his presidential candidacy yet in his party’s national meeting slated to take place on April 11 amid reports of his plan to contest in the 2019 presidential election.
The national meeting aims to strengthen the coordination of the party’s members for the 2019 legislative elections and presidential election, which will be held concurrently for the first time.
“There is no [presidential] declaration yet on April 11. It will only be a national coordinating meeting for the internal party,” he said on Thursday as reported by tempo.co.
He refused to give details on why he had not yet decided to declare himself as a presidential hopeful despite being touted by his party to run in the 2019 election to challenge incumbent President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo, who is seeking reelection. Thirty-four Gerindra regional offices have given their support and pushed him to soon declare his plan for presidential candidacy.
The meeting will focus on Gerindra’s preparation for the legislative elections. It will also discuss the requirements and procedures for members running through the party.
Gerindra deputy chairman Sufmi Dasco Ahmad could not confirm whether the meeting would end with Prabowo's declaration to address the members’ support for the chairman. (dpk/rin)
- TV program under fire for showing protected giant clam being cooked
- Group touts Susi Pudjiastuti as Jokowi’s running mate
- New rule no 'carte blanche' for foreign workers: Minister
- Kate, wife of UK's Prince William, taken to hospital to give birth to third child
- Government issues revised regulation on tax holidays
- Palm oil exports fall by 14% in February: Gapki
- EDITORIAL: When interests collide
- Landslide damages house in Depok
- Indonesian-made messaging app Callind launches in Jakarta
- Driver named suspect after death of toddler in East Jakarta