No presidential declaration for me yet: Prabowo
The Jakarta Post
Gerindra Party chairman Prabowo Subianto said there was no declaration for his presidential candidacy yet in his party’s national meeting slated to take place on April 11 amid reports of his plan to contest in the 2019 presidential election.
The national meeting aims to strengthen the coordination of the party’s members for the 2019 legislative elections and presidential election, which will be held concurrently for the first time.
“There is no [presidential] declaration yet on April 11. It will only be a national coordinating meeting for the internal party,” he said on Thursday as reported by tempo.co.
He refused to give details on why he had not yet decided to declare himself as a presidential hopeful despite being touted by his party to run in the 2019 election to challenge incumbent President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo, who is seeking reelection. Thirty-four Gerindra regional offices have given their support and pushed him to soon declare his plan for presidential candidacy.
The meeting will focus on Gerindra’s preparation for the legislative elections. It will also discuss the requirements and procedures for members running through the party.
Gerindra deputy chairman Sufmi Dasco Ahmad could not confirm whether the meeting would end with Prabowo's declaration to address the members’ support for the chairman. (dpk/rin)
- Local residents slaughter 292 crocodiles in Sorong farm
- Indonesia among world’s less stressed countries
- Government oversells PT Freeport Indonesia agreement
- Third coalition at stake after Muhaimin's maneuver
- A guide to understanding the Freeport divestment deal
- Densus 88 shoot dead three alleged terrorists in Yogyakarta
- Trump's trip to Europe: Top five highlights
- KPK raids PLN president director's house in Jakarta
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Saudi woman could be jailed for hugging pop star