50 companies expected to build factories near new West Kalimantan port
The Jakarta Post
The Mempawah administration is pinning high hopes on Kijing International Port in Mempawah regency, West Kalimantan, becoming a driver of the economy in Kalimantan.
According to the Mempawah administration, it will be a deep sea port equipped with the largest digital system in Kalimantan.
Acting Mempawah regent Gusti Ramlana said on Wednesday that construction of the port would enable the Mempawah administration to better tap into economic potentials in Kalimantan.
“I hope at least 50 companies will build factories in a special economic zone, which later will be integrated with the port so that many workers will be absorbed and its economic impacts will hopefully spread. This [port] will become a new economic nerve center of this region,” Ramlana said at start of the port construction.
Indonesia Port Corporations (IPC) technical and risk manager director Dani Rusli Utama said the first phase of the four-phase project was scheduled for completion within 18 months.
Among construction activities being carried out in the first phase are the building of a 1-square kilometer quay compound and a 10-hectare compound housing a container terminal with a capacity of 500,000 twenty-foot equivalent unit (TEU) of the total 1 million TEU expected. (ebf)
Under process: A construction worker passes an area where Kijing International Port will be built in Kunyit River district, Mempawah regency, West Kalimantan, on April 11. (JP/Severianus Endi)
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Florence death toll jumps to 31 as flooding wreaks havoc
- Trump hits China with tariffs on another $200b in goods
- Prosecutors call for Jambi rape victim to be punished to deter abortion
- Indonesia must improve its e-government
- Indian bishop accused of raping nun steps aside as arrest calls grow
- Payment of 'uang ketok palu' is tradition, councilors admit to corruption court
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Trump defends Supreme Court pick after sex assault allegation