Anies attends second anniversary of Kampung Akuarium eviction
Callistasia Anggun Wijaya
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan attended on Saturday an event conducted by residents of Kampung Akuarium, North Jakarta, to commemorate the day they were evicted from their homes by the administration of the former Jakarta governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama.
The residents expressed their gratitude for the city administration's decision to rebuild their demolished residences.
Currently, the remaining residents reside in temporary shelters, which will be demolished once their houses are constructed.
During the event, resident Dharma Diani handed over a 3D model of a house to Anies.
"We hope Bapak can fulfil our dreams. This is our dream," she said, handing over the model house to Anies.
Anies said he was committed to achieving social justice for the residents.
"I receive this [the model house] as a mandate. Insya Allahwe will fulfill [the promise to rebuild the residential area]. Give us a chance to prove that the country is still committed to upholding social justice for all of its residents," Anies said.
Anies added that the city administration had conducted a Community Action Plan (CAP) to gather the residents’ aspirations on their future kampung.
- TV program under fire for showing protected giant clam being cooked
- Group touts Susi Pudjiastuti as Jokowi’s running mate
- New rule no 'carte blanche' for foreign workers: Minister
- Kate, wife of UK's Prince William, taken to hospital to give birth to third child
- Government issues revised regulation on tax holidays
- Palm oil exports fall by 14% in February: Gapki
- EDITORIAL: When interests collide
- Landslide damages house in Depok
- Indonesian-made messaging app Callind launches in Jakarta
- Driver named suspect after death of toddler in East Jakarta