MK opens up selection process for new judge
Marguerite Afra Sapiie
The Jakarta Post
An independent selection committee designated to appoint a new Constitutional Court (MK) justice has called on Indonesians with extensive knowledge of Constitutional law to participate in the selection process.
Established by President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo to find the successor of Constitutional Court Justice Maria Farida Indrati, the first and currently the only woman on the nine-panel bench, the committee is set to open registration for qualified candidates from May 7 to May 31.
Committee chairman Harjono said on Wednesday that the team was determined to select only justice candidates with quality and integrity.
"We expect to find the best [candidates] in order to guard the existence of the Constitutional Court," he said.
The team will welcome individual applicants as well as organizations and universities; all they have to do is submit their analysis of a past Constitutional Court ruling.
Harjono urged media outlets and the public in general to participate in providing any information on the track record of candidates. The team has also coordinated with the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) and the Financial Transaction Reports and Analysis Center (PPATK) to check candidates’ backgrounds.
Maria is set to leave the bench in August after 10 years of serving the court.
The result of the administrative process will be announced on June 8, after which finalists will have to go through additional tests. The new justice’s name will be submitted to Jokowi by July 31 or early August at the latest. (ebf)
- Jokowi defends his infrastructure program
- Madonna celebrates turning 60 in Marrakech
- What’s in store for final installment of BTS ‘Love Yourself’ saga
- Women accused of assassinating Kim Jong Nam face key court ruling
- 'Monster Hunter' on hold as China hits pause on new video games
- Coal production at 37.11 percent of full-year target
- Indonesian academics can now access e-journal databases worth $1m for free
- Remote China glacial lake bursts, no casualties
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia considers reducing imports of 500 consumer goods