Jakarta administration to hold big iftar events in Monas
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration plans to hold mass iftar events at the National Monument (Monas) Park in Central Jakarta during Ramadhan.
Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno said on Friday that the administration had been inspired by the mass iftar events in the two holy cities of Islam, Mecca and Medina, where people who need to break their fast have food served to them.
“We want to make the iftar events like those in Mecca and Medina, so we will take care of the iftar ourselves. People should not fight to get food to break their fast, they should be served,” Sandiaga said on Friday as reported by kompas.com.
“So in Monas there will be big events to break our fast together. People will not need to wait in line. They can just sit down and the food will be served. That’s how we will respect and humanize our friends,” he said.
He said after breaking their fast, attendees would be invited to recite the shalawat (salutation to Prophet Muhammad), zikr (chanting in praise of God) and participate in a mass tarawih (evening Ramadhan prayers).
He urged wealthy families and companies participated in the events. (ami)
- 53 injured as Saudi jet makes emergency landing
- Anwar reassures Malays who fear losing racial advantage
- Police find 'missing' teen's body at South Jakarta apartment
- Commentary: Soeharto's most likely successor? How about Prabowo?
- Castle restoration plan with no elevators causing controversy
- Police probe Jakarta officials on fatal Monas incident
- Joey Alexander among '50 Asians to watch'
- Danish minister says Ramadan fasting can be 'dangerous'
- Australian archbishop guilty of concealing child sex abuse
- How new antiterrorism law will change Indonesia's war on terror