Jokowi orders ‘total evaluation’ after Mako Brimob riot
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has demanded that the National Police conduct a thorough evaluation following a riot in which terror detainees seized weapons from and killed police officers at a detention center at the Mobile Brigade headquarters (Mako Brimob) in Kelapa Dua, Depok, earlier this week.
“There will be a total evaluation from the National Police to prevent such cases,” Jokowi said at the Bogor Palace on Saturday as reported by tribunnews.com.
Jokowi said the evaluation was needed to overcome problems in prisons, especially those related to high-risk prisoners such as terror convicts.
Terrorism, he said, was a problem not only in Indonesia, but all around the world.
He expressed concerns over the timing of the riot, which occurred ahead of the 2018 Asian Games, a high-profile international sporting event to be hosted by Indonesia.
The riot, which broke out on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m., was followed by a 36-hour standoff between the detainees and the police.
Five police officers and an inmate died in the incident. (gis)
- 53 injured as Saudi jet makes emergency landing
- Minibus driver used Facebook before deadly crash: reports
- Fuel consumption in Papua drops ahead of Idul Fitri
- Police find 'missing' teen's body at South Jakarta apartment
- FamilyMart to allow Airbnb users to pick up keys at its stores
- Commentary: Soeharto's most likely successor? How about Prabowo?
- 'Solo' director says new 'Star Wars' film puts character first
- Unattended suitcase causes security alert in Batam
- Florida cities are most at risk from climate change: Report
- Police probe Jakarta officials on fatal Monas incident