Two domestic helpers die in Bekasi fire
The Jakarta Post
Two people were killed on Tuesday morning in a fire that razed a house in Kranggan Permai, Bekasi, West Java.
The victims, identified as, Dwi, 14, and Dea, 15, had worked at the house as domestic helpers.
Bekasi Police spokeswoman Comr. Erna Ruswing Andari said the fire started at around 3:30 a.m. in the bedroom of the owner’s son.
“According to [the son], he immediately woke his family up after noticing the fire. The blaze grew and when they were outside, the family realized that Dwi and Dea were still on the second floor,” Erna said as reported by tempo.co.
It took firefighters three hours to extinguish the blaze.
Bekasi Fire and Rescue Agency head Aceng Solahudin said that, according to his team’s latest investigation, the fire had been sparked by a lighter.
“Further investigation will be conducted by the Pondok Gede Police under the Bekasi Police’s supervision,” he said. (vla)
- List of moderate Islamic preachers needed: Scholar
- US warns Syria of 'firm' action over southern offensive
- Colombia to become first Latin American NATO 'global partner'
- Pair of Japanese premium melons sell for record $29,300
- New Terrorism Law no silver bullet, says rights researcher
- Out of South Africa, reminiscing the indelible Eden
- Prisoners evacuated from flooded Pekalongan Penitentiary
- Police shut down illegal gold mines in Riau
- Dutch, Australia say Russia behind downing MH17
- France arrests two spies for passing secrets to China