Riau University declares war against terrorism, radicalism
The Jakarta Post
Riau University (Unri) in Pekanbaru, Riau, pledged on Monday to fight against terrorism, intolerance and radicalism following the arrests of suspected terrorists on the campus on Saturday.
In the declaration, Unri academics strengthened their commitment to combat terrorism, radicalism and intolerance, which they considered to be “activities that violated the law and intended to divide NKRI (the Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia”.
The National Police’s Densus 88 counterterrorism unit arrested three suspected terrorists, who were all Unri alumni, for allegedly planning an attack. They were arrested during a raid at Gelanggang Mahasiswa, a multipurpose student facility at the university's school of social and political sciences building.
“Following the arrests, all leaders of our university immediately coordinated and pledged to strengthen the security of the campus,” said Unri Rector Aras Mulyadi. “The recent event must be the first and last to take place at Unri,” Aras said.
Saturday's arrests marked the first time law enforcement personnel have arrested terror suspects inside an educational institution.
Aras added that Unri would take several measures to prevent radical teachings from spreading inside the institution's area, including through intensive monitoring and controlling of students activities inside the university. (ebf)
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Saudi woman's case against father stirs 'guardianship' debate
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Russia warns US it is 'playing with fire' with sanctions
- Land owners unseal 46 schools after promise to hire them as civil servants
- Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang dead at 61: State media
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world