Riau University declares war against terrorism, radicalism
The Jakarta Post
Riau University (Unri) in Pekanbaru, Riau, pledged on Monday to fight against terrorism, intolerance and radicalism following the arrests of suspected terrorists on the campus on Saturday.
In the declaration, Unri academics strengthened their commitment to combat terrorism, radicalism and intolerance, which they considered to be “activities that violated the law and intended to divide NKRI (the Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia”.
The National Police’s Densus 88 counterterrorism unit arrested three suspected terrorists, who were all Unri alumni, for allegedly planning an attack. They were arrested during a raid at Gelanggang Mahasiswa, a multipurpose student facility at the university's school of social and political sciences building.
“Following the arrests, all leaders of our university immediately coordinated and pledged to strengthen the security of the campus,” said Unri Rector Aras Mulyadi. “The recent event must be the first and last to take place at Unri,” Aras said.
Saturday's arrests marked the first time law enforcement personnel have arrested terror suspects inside an educational institution.
Aras added that Unri would take several measures to prevent radical teachings from spreading inside the institution's area, including through intensive monitoring and controlling of students activities inside the university. (ebf)
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Pence says US to partner in Papua New Guinea military base
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- US politician stands to win election by one vote
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Number of missing in California fire soars past 1,000 as Trump set to visit
- CIA concludes Saudi Crown Prince behind Khashoggi murder: report
- Minister Wiranto's grandson drowns in garden pond
- After Gabo book purge, Kuwait bans Dostoyevsky