Buffon banned for three matches after referee comments
UEFA has banned goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon for three matches for comments he made about the referee after Juventus lost in the Champions League quarterfinals in April, European soccer's governing body said on Tuesday.
Buffon was enraged by English referee Michael Oliver's decision to award Real Madrid a stoppage-time penalty during the second leg at the Bernabeu and lost control, screaming at and jostling the Englishman until he was shown a red card.
Cristiano Ronaldo coverted the spot-kick and Real lost the match 3-1 to win the tie 4-3 on aggregate.
"The UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body has decided to suspend Juventus player Gianluigi Buffon for three UEFA competition matches for which he would be otherwise eligible," UEFA said in a statement on its website.
The 40-year-old Buffon, who left Juventus after 17 seasons at the club, criticized Oliver after the match, saying the referee had been out of his depth, should have been in the stands eating crisps and must have a garbage bin for a heart.
UEFA also banned AS Roma supporters for two away games after fan violence left one Liverpool supporter in a critical condition ahead of the Champions League semifinal at Anfield.
Roma's ban for the second match has been deferred under a probationary period of two years, European soccer's governing body said in a statement https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/disciplinary/index.html. The Italian club were also fined €50,000 (US$58,330).
Merseyside Police arrested two men from Rome in April after Liverpool supporter Sean Cox was left with serious injuries following an attack.
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Tourism's fatal warning
- Indonesia lists 180 missing on doomed ferry, launches underwater search
- 8-meter python slain after swallowing woman in Southeast Sulawesi
- Indonesia takes a bite out of food waste one wedding at a time
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- Search on for dozens missing in Indonesia ferry sinking
- Malaysia's Najib explains why he had so many luxury handbags, lots of cash, jewe...
- We deserve more choices