Anies demands evidence to prove 40 mosques infiltrated by radicalism
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan has demanded the people who say there are 40 mosques that have been infiltrated by radical teachings in the capital show evidence to back up the statement.
“Ask the people who say [there are 40 radical mosques in Jakarta] to show it [evidence of radicalism],” Anies said on Wednesday as quoted by tempo.co.
The statement contradicted the statement of Jakarta Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno who said the city administration had gathered data on 40 mosques that were allegedly exposed to radical teachings.
Sandiaga said the city administration would give guidance to the mosques to prevent radicalism from spreading.
Meanwhile, Bureau of Mental and Spiritual Education head, Hendra Hidayat, urged the Mosque Welfare Council (DKM) in the city to be selective in inviting preachers to deliver sermons amid fears of radicalism being taught in places of worship.
"We urge the DKM to present preachers that promote peace and maintain a positive environment," Hendra said.
During the Jakarta gubernatorial election last year, some political observers believed that mosques were used as a battleground to discourage voters from supporting then-governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama, who was seeking reelection.
Some mosques erected banners stating that they would refuse to be used as a place to perform rites for supporters of a blasphemer, referring to Ahok, who was accused of committing blasphemy against Islam. (cal)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- India launches 'Modicare', world's biggest health scheme
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- China's bullet trains are coming for Hong Kong's airlines
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- Attempt to send underage prostitutes to Bali ends at airport: Police
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy