Puan, Prabowo to meet 'soon'
Nurul Fitri Ramadhani
The Jakarta Post
Ruling Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) executive member Puan Maharani plans to meet with leading opposition Gerindra Party chief patron Prabowo Subianto in the near future.
Puan, the daughter of PDI-P chairwoman and former president Megawati Soekarnoputri, claimed that she and Prabowo had shared the same idea of meeting each other and were ready to realize it.
“We’ll meet sometime soon. I told [him] that I was ready. Both of us have expressed our intention to meet,” Puan, who is also coordinating human development and culture minister, told reporters on Thursday before a hearing with the House of Representatives.
She did not specify a date for the meeting.
“We’ll talk about the country’s current situation. There are also a lot of other things we can talk about if we meet,” Puan said.
They are also expected to discuss the 2019 presidential election, in which the PDI-P has declared support for incumbent President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo, who is also a party member.
Gerindra has already declared its decision to nominate Prabowo.
PDI-P faction secretary Bambang Wuryanto said Puan and Prabowo had met several times in the past.
“They often meet with each other. I am a witness,” Bambang said.
Gerindra secretary-general Ahmad Muzani previously confirmed that both figures would meet.
“As both of them are political figures, maybe they will talk about political situations,” Muzani said. (swd)
- Me and my (porn) shadow: 'Spycam' epidemic seizes South Korea
- Moon, Kim get peace award from Indonesian community
- Four earthquakes strike off Canada's west coast
- Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja stuns 'American Idol' judges
- Meikarta project abides by spatial regulation: Minister
- US mulls revoking recognition of transgender people: Report
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Trump accuses Saudis of 'lies' over Khashoggi killing
- Only 2% of ads show women as leaders: Study
- Home of Malaysian cricket under closure threat