Puan, Prabowo to meet 'soon'
Nurul Fitri Ramadhani
The Jakarta Post
Ruling Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) executive member Puan Maharani plans to meet with leading opposition Gerindra Party chief patron Prabowo Subianto in the near future.
Puan, the daughter of PDI-P chairwoman and former president Megawati Soekarnoputri, claimed that she and Prabowo had shared the same idea of meeting each other and were ready to realize it.
“We’ll meet sometime soon. I told [him] that I was ready. Both of us have expressed our intention to meet,” Puan, who is also coordinating human development and culture minister, told reporters on Thursday before a hearing with the House of Representatives.
She did not specify a date for the meeting.
“We’ll talk about the country’s current situation. There are also a lot of other things we can talk about if we meet,” Puan said.
They are also expected to discuss the 2019 presidential election, in which the PDI-P has declared support for incumbent President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo, who is also a party member.
Gerindra has already declared its decision to nominate Prabowo.
PDI-P faction secretary Bambang Wuryanto said Puan and Prabowo had met several times in the past.
“They often meet with each other. I am a witness,” Bambang said.
Gerindra secretary-general Ahmad Muzani previously confirmed that both figures would meet.
“As both of them are political figures, maybe they will talk about political situations,” Muzani said. (swd)
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- Tourism's fatal warning
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia lists 180 missing on doomed ferry, launches underwater search
- 8-meter python slain after swallowing woman in Southeast Sulawesi
- Search on for dozens missing in Indonesia ferry sinking
- Indonesia takes a bite out of food waste one wedding at a time
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- Taliban kill 30 soldiers in first major attack since ceasefire, governor says
- Commentary: Another side of the elderly: You reap what you sow