Police to divert traffic ahead of 'takbiran' night
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Police have planned a traffic diversion in anticipation of congestion during the takbiran (eve of Idul Fitri) celebration on Thursday.
Takbiran is a popular tradition in the country when Muslims, in particular children, parade around the streets chanting praises to God on the night before Idul Fitri.
Firecrackers and fireworks are usually ignited on the streets liven up the celebration.
Jakarta Police traffic unit chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Budiyanto said traffic in Central Jakarta heading from Tugu Tani to Jl. Medan Merdeka Utara would be diverted to Jl. Perwira, Jl. Pasar Baru, Jl. Gunung Sahari or to Jl. Perwira, Tugu Adipura and Jl. Veteran Raya.
Vehicles heading from Jl. Veteran Raya to Jl. Medan Merdeka Utara will be diverted to Jl. Harmoni, while traffic from Jl. Hayam Wuruk to Jl. Medan Merdeka Barat will be diverted to Jl. Juanda.
Traffic from the Hotel Indonesia traffic circle to Jl. Medan Merdeka Barat will be diverted to Jl. Budi Kemuliaan.
Meanwhile, the South Jakarta Police have beefed up security to prevent brawls during takbiran.
The areas that will be closely monitored are, among others: Jl. Mampang to Warung Buncit, Jl. Saharjo, Pasar Minggu, Antasari, Fatmawati, Pondok Indah and Jl. TB Simatupang.
“We will prevent the clashes of [youth] gangs. We’ve seen possibilities of brawls on those streets,” South Jakarta Police Chief Sr. Comr. Indra Jafar said on Thursday as quoted by kompas.com. (cal)
- US man charged with killing pregnant wife and two toddlers
- US threatens more Turkey sanctions if pastor not freed
- Jokowi defends his infrastructure program
- President, first lady celebrate Sumatran culture on Independence Day
- Canadian killed, American wounded in Mexico shooting
- Yazidi 'ex-sex slave' trapped both in Iraq and in German exile
- Pilgrims descend on Mecca for 'smart haj'
- Chinese plane slides off Manila airport runway in heavy rain
- Madonna celebrates turning 60 in Marrakech
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world