Suspected thief arrested while celebrating Idul Fitri at home
The Jakarta Post
An alleged thief that has been wanted by the police for over a year was arrested at his home in Tambun Selatan, Bekasi, while celebrating Idul Fitri.
Bekasi Police General Crimes Division head Sr. Comr. Jarius Saragih said the suspect was allegedly involved in a breaking-and-entering case in a house in Margahayu subdistrict, East Bekasi, back in January 2017. The suspect allegedly carried out the crime with two accomplices.
“The victim suffered millions of rupiah in losses,” said Jarius on Friday as quoted by tempo.co.
He added that the police had actually identified the suspects, but faced difficulty in locating them. Every time the police came to the suspect's house, he was never around.
“We believed that he would be at home during Idul Fitri,” said Jarius, adding that their assumption turned out to be correct.
“We immediately arrested the suspect, who made no attempt to resist,” he said.
According to Jarius, the suspect and his accomplices broke into the empty house using a crowbar. The group took jewelry, cash and dozens of watches.
The police, however, did not reveal further information about the suspect's accomplices.
The suspect will be charged under the Criminal Code's Article 363 on theft, which carries a maximum seven-year prison term. (iwa)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Creator of 3-D printed guns flies to Taiwan amid US sex assault accusation
- Balinale set to return with award-winning movies, guests
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Malaysia ex-PM faces 21 new charges over 1MDB scandal
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Tourism Ministry declares five dishes national food
- Indonesians ready to embrace cashless future