Gerindra's VP list also down to five
Karina M. Tehusijarana
The Jakarta Post
The Gerindra Party's list of potential running mates for chairman and presidential hopeful Prabowo Subianto is down to five names.
"From the PKS [Prosperous Justice Party], there are only two names remaining, [former West Java governor] Ahmad Heryawan and Ustadz Salim Segaf al-Jufri; from PAN [National Mandate Party], there is only [PAN chairman] Zulkifli Hasan left,” Gerindra central executive board head Ahmad Riza Patria said on Thursday.
“And from the Democratic Party there is AHY [Agus Harimurti Yudhoyono]. There is also the non-partisan [Jakarta Governor] Anies Baswedan.”
He said Gerindra would also consider National Awakening Party (PKB) chairman Muhaimin "Cak Imin" Iskandar if the PKB was to join Gerindra's coalition.
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo said recently that his list of potential running mates was down to five candidates, but refused to reveal the names.
With only 73 House seats, Gerindra needs coalition partners to be able to field a candidate.
Four parties with significant vote shares have yet to officially back a candidate: PAN, the PKS, the PKB and the Dems.
PAN and the PKS have worked together with Gerindra recently, most notably during the contentious 2017 Jakarta gubernatorial race, but neither party has officially endorsed Prabowo's candidacy. The PKB has vacillated between Jokowi and Prabowo, while the Dems have toyed with the idea of nominating a third ticket.
However, Ahmad Riza seemed confident that Gerindra's loose coalition would hold, saying: "To this day, the coalition continues to grow stronger, with Gerindra, the PKS, PAN, and, God willing, the Democratic Party”. (ipa)
- Student allegedly paralyzed after being told to do 120 jump squats as punishment
- Obama dancing in Kenya sends world aflutter
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- China seizes 156 mammoth tusks in huge ivory haul
- S.Korean court hands former president Park another 8 years in jail
- 'Mass casualty incident' after Missouri tourist boat capsizes
- Former Hong Kong leader jailed again for misconduct
- Jambi girl imprisoned for abortion after being raped by brother
- Who is TGB, Jokowi’s strongest ally against sectarianism?