Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Video Weather icon 30°C
DKI Jakarta, Indonesia
weather-icon
30°C Partly Cloudy

Dry and mostly cloudy throughout the day.

  • weather-icon

    Wed

    26℃ - 32℃

  • weather-icon

    Thu

    25℃ - 32℃

  • weather-icon

    Fri

    25℃ - 31℃

  • weather-icon

    Sat

    26℃ - 30℃

Australia strips five of citizenship over Islamic State links

  • News Desk

    Agence France-Presse

Sydney, Australia | Thu, August 9, 2018 | 12:12 pm
Australia strips five of citizenship over Islamic State links A general view of the courthouse in Gaziantep, southern Turkey. An Australian jihadist detained by Turkey last year on charges of joining the Islamic State (IS) extremist group in Syria was on trial on September 28 on charges of membership of the organisation. Neil Prakash, who was detained one year ago in Turkey close to the Syrian border, is jailed in the Gaziantep region of southern Turkey. However his trial, which got underway earlier this year, is being held in the neighbouring Kilis region with Prakash being cross-examined via video link. AFP (AFP/-)

Five people have been stripped of their Australian citizenship for fighting alongside the Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria, with officials saying Thursday the country was a better place without them. 

They join notorious Islamic State fighter Khaled Sharrouf -- who made headlines when he posted a Twitter image of his young son holding a severed head -- as the only nationals to be kicked out under tougher anti-terror laws.

"I can confirm that five more individuals have ceased to be Australian citizens because of their involvement with Islamic State offshore," home affairs minister Peter Dutton said in a statement.

"Fundamentally, citizenship requires allegiance to this country... these five dual-nationals have been acting against Australia's interests by engaging with terrorism and have effectively chosen to leave the Australian community."

The five are all aged in their 20s and 30s. Dutton provided no further details on their identities but welcomed their exclusion.

"Australia is a safer place for not having them return," he said.

Canberra has become increasingly concerned about Australian nationals returning home after fighting alongside Islamic State abroad and has passed a series of tougher national security laws in recent years.

That includes legislation where people can forfeit their citizenship if they also hold a passport from another country, and therefore are not left stateless.

Sharrouf, the first Australian national stripped of his passport for Islamic State links, was also a Lebanese citizen.

He left Australia for Syria in 2013 with his family.

His Australian wife Tara Nettleton, who went with him, has since died and Sharrouf was believed to have been killed in a drone strike in Iraq in 2015.

Later media reports cast doubt on whether he was dead. The fate of their five children remains unknown.

Sharrouf sparked international revulsion in 2014 when he posted pictures on social media of his young son Abdullah holding the rotting severed head of a soldier.

Join the discussions