Asian Games: Syria, Uzbekistan advance to soccer's quarterfinals
The Jakarta Post
Syria and Uzbekistan have booked their places in the quarterfinals following victories over Palestine and Hong Kong, China, respectively, on Thursday afternoon.
In a match held at Patriot Candrabaga Stadium in Bekasi, Syria narrowly defeated Palestine 1-0 in front of 200 supporters.
Both sides failed to show their attacking prowess at the start and preferred to play it safe, resulting in a scoreless first half.
The tempo gradually increased in the second half.
Syria midfielder Ahmad Ashkar headed past keeper Ramzi Alfahkouri in the 73rd minute to clinch victory.
Syria coach Muhammad Alfakeer told the post-match presser that he applauded Palestine for putting up a good fight and was grateful for the win.
Syria will face either Vietnam or Bahrain in the quarterfinals.
"Now, we are focusing on the next match. I predict that we will face Vietnam as they are more aggressive and fast," Alfakeer said.
Meanwhile, Uzbekistan thumped Hong Kong 3-0 and will face either South Korea or Iran in the next round. (yan)
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Insight: New development pathway for Indonesia
- Flights not yet affected by Mt. Anak Krakatau eruption, authorities say
- Journalist murdered in Mexico, ninth of 2018
- Brotherhood chief, 65 others get life for Egypt attack
- Huawei gives free power banks to people queuing for new iPhone
- Nike-Kaepernick: A marriage of ideals?
- Death of Persija fan at hands of Persib hooligans sparks outrage