Asian Games: Syria, Uzbekistan advance to soccer's quarterfinals
The Jakarta Post
Syria and Uzbekistan have booked their places in the quarterfinals following victories over Palestine and Hong Kong, China, respectively, on Thursday afternoon.
In a match held at Patriot Candrabaga Stadium in Bekasi, Syria narrowly defeated Palestine 1-0 in front of 200 supporters.
Both sides failed to show their attacking prowess at the start and preferred to play it safe, resulting in a scoreless first half.
The tempo gradually increased in the second half.
Syria midfielder Ahmad Ashkar headed past keeper Ramzi Alfahkouri in the 73rd minute to clinch victory.
Syria coach Muhammad Alfakeer told the post-match presser that he applauded Palestine for putting up a good fight and was grateful for the win.
Syria will face either Vietnam or Bahrain in the quarterfinals.
"Now, we are focusing on the next match. I predict that we will face Vietnam as they are more aggressive and fast," Alfakeer said.
Meanwhile, Uzbekistan thumped Hong Kong 3-0 and will face either South Korea or Iran in the next round. (yan)
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- Pence says US to partner in Papua New Guinea military base
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- US politician stands to win election by one vote
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- Number of missing in California fire soars past 1,000 as Trump set to visit
- After Gabo book purge, Kuwait bans Dostoyevsky
- From Chanel to Gucci: Korean women turn into designer rent-a-holics
- CIA concludes Saudi Crown Prince behind Khashoggi murder: report