Indonesian archers collect silver and bronze at Asian Games
The Jakarta Post
Indonesian archer Diananda Chorunisa missed out on gold but still came away with a silver medal on Tuesday. Xinyan Zhang of China scored more points in the final round of the women's individual recurve event.
In a contest held at the Archery Field in Gelora Bung Karno sports complex in Jakarta, Xinyan outperformed Diananda with a final score of 7-3 after 5 sets.
The Chinese athlete, ranked seventh in the world in the category, scored better in the first, fourth and fifth sets, while Diananda, the world number 10, conquered the third set. The second set, meanwhile, was tied.
"I am disappointed [to win silver] for sure, but grateful at the same time. Maybe God wants me to train harder," she said after the contest.
It is the first ever Asian Games silver medal for Indonesia in the category.
Diananda's lowest score came in the fourth set, when she only scored 24 out of a possible 30. She said she failed to accurately anticipate the wind factor.
"The wind was blowing to the right, while during training it blew to the left," she said.
Meanwhile in the men's individual recurve event, Riau Ega Agata Salsabila secured the bronze medal in a contest against Ilfat Abdullin of Kazakhstan with a score of 6-2.
Indonesia has collected 22 gold medals in the overall tally as of Tuesday afternoon, bettering its previous best of 11 gold medals, when the country hosted the event for the first time in 1962.
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Truck full of bodies draws Mexicans searching for relatives
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations