South Tangerang man sues neighbor for cutting down trees
The Jakarta Post
South Tangerang resident Hendra Apriansyah is seeking Rp 2.6 billion (US$175,000) in damages from his neighbor, Deddy Octo Simbolon, for cutting down a spruce tree and a tabebuia tree that were allegedly co-owned property.
Deddy expressed surprise during his testimony in the initial hearing on Thursday at the Tangerang district court, saying that the two trees actually belonged to him. He said he had planted the two young trees on the border between his house and Hendra's house.
“I was afraid the trees could be knocked down by strong winds, so I asked some security guards to cut them down,” Deddy said as quoted by kompas.com.
He said that, after the trees had been cut down, Hendra visited his house and even came to his office to complain about the incident. Deddy said that he responded by erecting a 2-meter fence separating his property from Hendra's, and then Hendra countered by filing a lawsuit.
“I then apologized and offered to mediate a solution, moderated by the RT [neighborhood unit head], but he didn’t show up,” said Deddy, and that instead, he received a court summons three days ago.
Deddy’s lawyer, Abdul Hamim Jauzie, said he sought to prove to the court that the felled trees belonged wholly to Deddy and that the trees the neighbors co-owned remained standing and untouched. (nor)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- Lippo's Karawaci flooded, Pejaten Village catches fire
- ASEAN’s priority: China
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements
- Passenger demands window seat, gets amusing response from flight attendant
- US pilots say Boeing didn’t warn of 737 feature tied to crash
- 21 companies to relocate factories from Karawang over high wages
- Macron the latest US ally insulted by Trump