Tangerang pickup truck accident kills three students
The Jakarta Post
A pickup truck carrying 23 santri (Islamic boarding school students) who were coming home from a religious event on Sunday evening hit a road divider and fell on its side, killing three of its passengers and injuring 20 others in Cliedug, Tangerang in Banten province.
Tangerang Police traffic unit chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Ojo Ruslani said that the truck driver, identified as 18-year-old Rizki Fahmi, was speeding and lost control of the vehicle.
The driver is among those receiving medical treatment for their injuries.
“The Toyota Kijang Super truck was driving at high speeds and when it arrived at a curve in the road, it hit a road separator and flipped over on its side,” Ojo said on Sunday as quoted by tempo.co.
The dead victims identified as Syaif Ali Maulana, 14, resident of Kampung Wadas, Kalideres, West Jakarta; Mahmud Hanafi, 16, resident of Kampung Cibadak of Pabuaran District, Sukabumi in West Java; and Sofyan, 15, resident of Karang Tengah, Tangerang.
The boarding school students were on their way home after attending a commemorative event celebrating the birth of the Prophet Muhammad, known as Maulid Nabi. The national holiday fell on Tuesday, Nov. 20.
The police have yet to name any suspects in the incident, pending an ongoing investigation. (fac)
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Lotte Chemical Indonesia begins construction of plant in Cilegon
- TNI denies explosive use during rescue after Papua shootings
- Tips to help you brew better coffee at home
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- Environmentalists face greater risks amid development drive
- ‘Obsess over problems, not idols’: 9 pieces of advice from Nadiem Makarim
- Prabowo answers all your burning questions in his little blue book