Tourism Ministry creates Crisis Center Team
The Jakarta Post
The Tourism Ministry has formed a Crisis Center Team as part of its 10 priority destinations program with the aim to counteract unexpected events that may negatively impact the tourism industry, such as natural disasters, outbreaks or political instability.
At a recent Focus Group Discussion (FGD) on the establishment of a guide to handle tourism crises, Tourism Ministry secretary Ukus Kuswara talked about the government’s plans for the next five years that will be focusing on infrastructure, maritime, energy, food and tourism.
Out of the five, tourism is set as the leading sector as it has so far contributed 9.8 percent the global Gross Domestic Product (GDP), adding US$ 7.58 trillion to total world export value and achieving a 25.1 percent growth in foreign exchange earnings.
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo is targeting to double the growth of national tourism by 2019, contributing 8 percent to the national GDP and Rp 280 trillion ($21.052 billion) in foreign exchange. The aim is to create 13 million jobs in the tourism industry, attract 20 million foreign tourists and take the 30th spot in the global Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Index.
This FGD event covered the issues regarding work pattern, identifying crisis-related key messages, pushing stakeholders to take part in the Crisis Center, ways to get feedback from tourists and procedure in handling a crisis.
There was also a panel discussion with speakers from the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) and the Health Ministry’s health crisis center. (asw)
- Survey finds Jakarta among world’s worst for women
- Barack Obama returns to the political arena
- Marinda airport in Raja Ampat set to become international airport
- More drug dealers to be shot dead: BNN chief
- Across Asia, liver cancer is linked to herbal remedies: Study
- EDITORIAL: Jokowi grows on the job
- North Jakarta group cancels Alexis Hotel protest
- Airline, bank reach for the sky with e-money
- Philippines to reject EU aid: Duterte
- Preventing osteoporosis: How to boost bone health