Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Police reenact airport assault

  • The Jakarta Post

    The Jakarta Post

Pekanbaru   /   Wed, October 30, 2013   /  07:00 am

Pekanbaru city police conducted a reenactment of the assault allegedly committed by Ombudsman deputy head Azlaini Agus against an employee of the ground handling service firm PT Gapura Angkasa, Yana Novia, on Tuesday.

Azlaini allegedly slapped Yana the previous day after he found out his flight was delayed.

On Tuesday, Yana and a number of witnesses took part in the reenactment at the boarding gate of the Sultan Syarif Kasim (SSK) II Airport in Pekanbaru, Riau. Azlani himself did not attend the reenactment.

The incident started when Yana told passengers of the Garuda Indonesia flight GA 227 serving Pekanbaru-Medan that the flight was delayed, saying that the pilot was still awaiting confirmation from the Kuala Namu Airport in Medan following the eruption of Mount Sinabung.

Azlani approached Yana from the waiting room and later slapped Yana with his left hand. Azlani also snarled at Yana and called her a cockroach.

A security guard named Barinas then tried to escort Azlani back to the waiting room.

'€œThe reenactment is aimed at gathering preliminary information on the chronology of the incident,'€ said the general crime head at Pekanbaru city police, Comr. Arief Fajar Satria.

As of Tuesday, the police questioned six witnesses, including Barinas and some employees of PT Gapura.

Azlaini, who also teaches law at Universitas Islam Riau, denied the allegations. '€œI did not slap her. I snarled at all employees who arranged the boarding process,'€ he said.

'€œThe passengers were told to get ready at 7:30 a.m. [for the 7:45 a.m. flight] as we would take a bus to the aircraft. But the employees [at the boarding room] left us standing at the gate while the bus was not even ready. When we asked about the matter, the employees said nothing,'€ Azlaini said.

'€œNobody told us why we had to wait such a long time. Most passengers also lost their patience,'€ he added.


Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)

close x
This article is premium content

Renew your subscription to get unlimited access