The Jakarta Post
Philippines national Mary Jane Fiesta Veloso has been excluded from the list of the third round of executions prepared by the Attorney General’s Office (AGO), as legal procedures continue in a separate but related case in her country, says Attorney General Prasetyo.
“We respect the legal process that is taking place in the Philippines,” said Prasetyo in Jakarta on Friday as reported by kompas.com.
He stressed that a third round of executions would take place, but declined to announce the list and date of executions. He also denied that executions would be carried out next month. “No not in May. Just wait. You will be informed. The government has decided to carry out the executions. It is only a matter of time,” he added.
Amid outrage from human rights activists worldwide and governments, Indonesia executed 14 drugs convicts last year.
Veloso was on the execution list last year but was granted a stay of execution because her alleged boss had been arrested in the Philippines, and the authorities there requested Indonesian assistance in pursuing the case.
We respect the rights of people facing execution, said Prasetyo, adding that the execution would be implemented when legal procedures were completed. “If people are saddened by the execution, we are saddened too,” he added.
Another drugs convict not on the list is Freddy Budiman, who was found guilty of smuggling 1.4 million ecstasy pills from China to Indonesia in 2012. The attorney general said that his case was undergoing review.
“We will wait for a decision. If his case review is accepted after he is executed, we won’t be able to bring him back from death,” he added.
The Central Java Police reportedly have prepared doctors and religious figures to accompany the convicts when the executions were implemented. (bbn)
Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)close x
Renew your subscription to get unlimited access