Lukman plays Ahmad Dahlan
The Jakarta Post
JAKARTA: Award-winning actor Lukman Sardi, reputed for taking on unusual, challenging roles, will play the legendary Ahmad Dahlan – the founder of Muhammadiyah, Indonesia’s second-largest Muslim organization, in director Hanung Bramantyo’s latest movie Sang Pencerah (The Enlighter).
“I’m not feeling very confident about this role, but I want to keep it that way so I don’t become big headed about it,” said Lukman as quoted by newsportal detik.com. “Too much confident is dangerous,” he added.
Lukman did his homework though, having looked up many sources of reference to get a feel for Ahmad Dahlan’s character, one of Indonesia’s national heroes who died in 1923.
“I read many books and did some research on the internet,” he said, adding that he had also met with Ahmad Dahlan’s grandson in Yogyakarta, Central Java.
From the extensive research Lukman did, he said “I found Ahmad Dahlan to be very persistent. If he knew something was right, he would say so; and when he knew something was wrong, he would say so as well.”
Hanung said the movie would mark Muhammadiyah 100th anniversary, which falls in July this year. The cast includes Hanung’s wife Zaskia Adya Mecca, Joshua Suherman, Ikranegara and Sujiwo Tedjo. — JP
- 'I don't accept the verdict': Jessica
- BI pushes 'waqf' development as financial welfare instrument
- BREAKING NEWS: Judges sentence Jessica to 20 years in prison
- Ahok sets Jakarta minimum wage at Rp 3.35m
- Judges find Jessica guilty despite lack of eyewitnesses
- Indonesia brings home Miss Grand International 2016 title
- Ahok still busy on his last day in office
- Seeking true happiness through meditation
- Guilty or not, Jessica to face verdict
- Indonesia, Australia team up to track extremist returnees