Lukman plays Ahmad Dahlan
The Jakarta Post
JAKARTA: Award-winning actor Lukman Sardi, reputed for taking on unusual, challenging roles, will play the legendary Ahmad Dahlan – the founder of Muhammadiyah, Indonesia’s second-largest Muslim organization, in director Hanung Bramantyo’s latest movie Sang Pencerah (The Enlighter).
“I’m not feeling very confident about this role, but I want to keep it that way so I don’t become big headed about it,” said Lukman as quoted by newsportal detik.com. “Too much confident is dangerous,” he added.
Lukman did his homework though, having looked up many sources of reference to get a feel for Ahmad Dahlan’s character, one of Indonesia’s national heroes who died in 1923.
“I read many books and did some research on the internet,” he said, adding that he had also met with Ahmad Dahlan’s grandson in Yogyakarta, Central Java.
From the extensive research Lukman did, he said “I found Ahmad Dahlan to be very persistent. If he knew something was right, he would say so; and when he knew something was wrong, he would say so as well.”
Hanung said the movie would mark Muhammadiyah 100th anniversary, which falls in July this year. The cast includes Hanung’s wife Zaskia Adya Mecca, Joshua Suherman, Ikranegara and Sujiwo Tedjo. — JP
- Grassroots war on rabies
- Good nutrition entails safe drinking water
- Award-winning comedy series ‘Silicon Valley’ returns for season 3
- Rationality, deficit in democracy
- Jokowi meets with German President, discusses death penalty
- Repair harm done to Jakarta Bay, fishermen demand
- Indonesia to learn vocational education from Germany: Minister
- 1965 victims: We don’t want communism, just reconciliation
- Cold rice balls, no flush toilets at quake-hit Japan shelter
- NU calls on govt. to reveal truth behind 1965 tragedy