Joko Sri Yono: Preserving ‘wayang beber’
Ganug Nugroho Adi
JP/Ganug Nugroho AdiAs a primary school student in 1962, Joko Sri Yono learned the art of painting illustrated scrolls for storytelling called wayang beber from a classical painter of the Surakarta sultanate, Raden Ngabei Atmosoepomo.
Unsurprisingly, Joko is now well versed in the art and legends of the princes (panji) of East Java’s kingdoms, notably the romance between Dewi Sekartaji an...
- PLN has signed contracts for power plants to generate 31,000 MW
- Anies, Sandiaga leave town
- Journalist named suspect over traffic accident involving Setya Novanto
- Hundreds of residents escorted out of besieged Papuan villages
- 'Despacito' sweeps Latin Grammys -- and heads to Asia
- Jakarta least tolerant city in Indonesia: human rights group
- Pertamina says fuel prices need to be increased
- Jokowi orders Setya to obey law
- Album Review: 'Reputation' by Taylor Swift
- Minister gives taxpayers another chance to declare hidden wealth