Joko Sri Yono: Preserving ‘wayang beber’
Ganug Nugroho Adi
JP/Ganug Nugroho AdiAs a primary school student in 1962, Joko Sri Yono learned the art of painting illustrated scrolls for storytelling called wayang beber from a classical painter of the Surakarta sultanate, Raden Ngabei Atmosoepomo.
Unsurprisingly, Joko is now well versed in the art and legends of the princes (panji) of East Java’s kingdoms, notably the romance between Dewi Sekartaji an...
- Ten diaspora restaurants set to promote Indonesian tourism
- Apple tries to win back students and teachers with low-cost iPad
- Indonesia, Singapore lead deep-sea expedition to West Java
- Ryanair to launch flights to Ukraine from October
- Bali-based band Navicula bassist in hospital, girlfriend dies after car accident
- 13 Indonesian airports join Earth Hour campaign
- Two dead as suspected IS gunman takes hostages in France
- Human-like calf stuns Gorontalo residents
- Syahrini responds to backlash over Holocaust Memorial video
- Jl. Raya Ragunan closed through Sunday for festival