Islam, Pancasila and atheism
M. Syafi’i Anwar
Should Alexander Aan live in exile, could he express atheism without facing hatred and threats of beheading? One might wonder why he prefers to live in Indonesia — a predominantly Muslim country — which was reported by the US leading magazine Newsweek as representing “smiling Islam” more than two decades ago.
Unfortunately, Aan is currently facing “angry Islam”. We might argue ...
- Father-son duo arrested over alleged drug dealing
- Wu's fans skip Chinese New Year for NBA All Star celebrity game
- China vows to protect interests as US eyes trade sanctions
- Adelina’s family demands compensation
- Indonesia mulls ban on maids to Malaysia
- Italy's country doctor making house calls on horseback
- East Java targets to vaccinate 10m following diphtheria outbreak
- Vatican revives pope's sexual abuse panel
- Pakistan child killer handed four death sentences
- Thamrin bombing mastermind inspired by Paris attack: Prosecutor