Slash-and-burn practices lead to forest fires in S. Sumatra
The Jakarta Post
Officials from the South Sumatra provincial administration have been puzzled by the insis-tence among local farmers in continuing their slash-and-burn practices to convert forests for the development of rubber and oil palm plantations.
Such practices constituted the number one cause of forest fires in South Sumatra, said Indra Purna, head of information and observation at Palembang’s Clim...
- New Terrorism Law no silver bullet, says rights researcher
- Muslim inmates fed pork during Ramadhan: Activists
- France arrests two spies for passing secrets to China
- List of moderate Islamic preachers needed: Scholar
- BREAKING: Indonesia passes stronger antiterrorism law
- Colombia to become first Latin American NATO 'global partner'
- Costly holiday
- Indonesia shakes off nerves for Thomas Cup semifinal against China
- Government is representation of God on earth: State Palace official
- Malaysia's defeated UMNO party asks for its money back