Slash-and-burn practices lead to forest fires in S. Sumatra
The Jakarta Post
Officials from the South Sumatra provincial administration have been puzzled by the insis-tence among local farmers in continuing their slash-and-burn practices to convert forests for the development of rubber and oil palm plantations.
Such practices constituted the number one cause of forest fires in South Sumatra, said Indra Purna, head of information and observation at Palembang’s Clim...
- 19 district heads in Papua sentenced to six months’ probation
- Review: 'Guardians' returns and it's better than the first
- Europe on Screen's open air screening section to feature 11 films
- No Cabinet reshuffle so far: Jokowi
- Police to question Rizieq’s wife in alleged sext scandal
- Role of women seen as vital to resisting Islamic extremism
- Simulating mom's womb in research to help earliest preemies
- Netizens make fun of Nordstrom and Topshop's muddy, plastic jeans
- Nigerian man shot dead in drugs bust
- German artist Gerhard Richter opens retrospective in Prague