Slash-and-burn practices lead to forest fires in S. Sumatra
The Jakarta Post
Officials from the South Sumatra provincial administration have been puzzled by the insis-tence among local farmers in continuing their slash-and-burn practices to convert forests for the development of rubber and oil palm plantations.
Such practices constituted the number one cause of forest fires in South Sumatra, said Indra Purna, head of information and observation at Palembang’s Clim...
- Death toll in Marawi could rise 'significantly': Military
- Pay-as-you-wish museum trips offered to Idul Fitri holidaymakers
- Government to flood market with frozen buffalo meat
- XL Axiata records 218% increase in data services
- 152 sent home after undergoing deradicalization program
- Myanmar journalists charged, held in jail for covering armed group
- Police closely monitor Syria returnees after IS-linked attack in Medan
- Ragunan Zoo to monitor animals for stress
- 17 new routes opened at AP II airports so far this year
- Obama, entourage arrive in Yogyakarta