Slash-and-burn practices lead to forest fires in S. Sumatra
The Jakarta Post
Officials from the South Sumatra provincial administration have been puzzled by the insis-tence among local farmers in continuing their slash-and-burn practices to convert forests for the development of rubber and oil palm plantations.
Such practices constituted the number one cause of forest fires in South Sumatra, said Indra Purna, head of information and observation at Palembang’s Clim...
- Noose tightens around FPI leader
- Riau Islands Police beefed up to 12,000 to anticipate South China Sea tension
- Asia’s most and least powerful passports
- Pinot competes with Beyonce in annual social media awards
- Indonesian Military to build naval base in Papua
- Anti graft body may detain ex-Garuda Indonesia CEO on Rolls Royce deals
- Police ban transgender cultural event in South Sulawesi
- Restaurant presents live penguins as part of conservation program
- China’s investment reaches US$1.6 billion in Indonesia
- Protesters make their mark on Trump's inauguration