Preserving Gorontalo’s poetry singing tradition
Risno Ahaya. (JP/Syam Terrajana)He deftly strummed the strings of a gambus (lute) producing high-pitched tones, inviting warm applause from the audience. Then his typically sweet voice began pervading the room, singing verses with a Malay rhythm and in the language of Gorontalo.
Despite the pouring rain outside, the performer with shoulder-length hair was cheered on by hundreds of school a...
- Indonesian education index lower than Philippines, Ethiopia
- KPK found $200,000 during Andi Narogong’s arrest
- Barus now symbol of ‘Islam Nusantara’
- Candidates rachet up tensions
- US military aircraft waiting for repair team: Commander
- Densus 88 searches house of suspected terrorist in Ciputat
- Bali to join Earth Hour
- Papuan separatists end resistance, pledge allegiance to NKRI
- Papua to get 5 percent, Luhut says on Freeport divestment
- Modern public library prepared for East Jakarta