Your letters: RI is responsible for the refugees
The Jakarta Post
I refer to the story in an Australian daily recently, regarding the refugee status and promises made by the Australian prime minister. The story states that refugees, who are based in Puncak, some 80 kilometers from Jakarta, are accepted by Indonesia and therefore Indonesia is responsible for them.
I agree that as Indonesia has accepted them, the country cannot simply ship them off to Australia. This would indicate that Indonesia is fully responsible for human trafficking into Australia.
As they are currently accepted by Indonesia, Australia has every right to return them to you.
Meanwhile, the refugees were reportedly happy with the policy of Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard after they learned that they would receive welfare payments and rent assistance should they make it to Australia by boat.
- Dutch woman dies after train accident in Yogyakarta
- Japan pledges support for Indonesian infrastructure development
- Piko-Taro’s ‘Pen Pineapple Apple Pen’ debuts on Billboard 100
- Double standards: The defining of homosexuality as pornographic in Indonesia
- Alleged foreign sex workers facing immigration charges
- 10 arrested over alleged illegal levies in S. Sulawesi
- Jokowi's Java-centric development widening wealth gap: INDEF
- We are working to address traffic congestion: Ahok
- Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur to have one halal certification
- Australia agrees to first national gun amnesty in 20 years