Your letters: RI is responsible for the refugees
The Jakarta Post
I refer to the story in an Australian daily recently, regarding the refugee status and promises made by the Australian prime minister. The story states that refugees, who are based in Puncak, some 80 kilometers from Jakarta, are accepted by Indonesia and therefore Indonesia is responsible for them.
I agree that as Indonesia has accepted them, the country cannot simply ship them off to Australia. This would indicate that Indonesia is fully responsible for human trafficking into Australia.
As they are currently accepted by Indonesia, Australia has every right to return them to you.
Meanwhile, the refugees were reportedly happy with the policy of Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard after they learned that they would receive welfare payments and rent assistance should they make it to Australia by boat.
- Grassroots war on rabies
- Good nutrition entails safe drinking water
- Award-winning comedy series ‘Silicon Valley’ returns for season 3
- Rationality, deficit in democracy
- Jokowi meets with German President, discusses death penalty
- Repair harm done to Jakarta Bay, fishermen demand
- Indonesia to learn vocational education from Germany: Minister
- 1965 victims: We don’t want communism, just reconciliation
- Cold rice balls, no flush toilets at quake-hit Japan shelter
- NU calls on govt. to reveal truth behind 1965 tragedy