Issues of the day: Students say ‘No’ to Valentine’s Day
The Jakarta Post
Feb. 14, p5
Nearly 500 elementary school students in Surakarta, Central Java, joined a march to the city’s Manahan Stadium on Wednesday in protest against Muslim youth partaking in Valentine’s Day celebrations, arguing that doing so was against Islamic teaching.
Some 30 teachers accompanied the students at the rally in the city, which is also known as Solo. The students ranged f...
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- UK visa requirements relaxed for Indonesian students
- Malaysia's Najib explains why he had so many luxury handbags, lots of cash, jewe...
- We deserve more choices
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Intel CEO resigns after probe of relationship with employee
- Number missing in Indonesia ferry disaster jumps again to 192: official
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- Handgun found in bin at Soekarno-Hatta airport